Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Think the belt on my XP might be going south...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 07:40 PM
DCT
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think the belt on my XP might be going south...

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HIGHOCTANE

Maybe it's fine and I'm just paranoid. I know I'm smelling it but maybe it's just the design of the hoiusing exhuast being different is why I've not smelled it on other machines unless the belt was smoking.</end quote></div>

For your sake, I hope it's just paranoia. However, if you are smelling it... I bet it's not good.

Have you smelt it from the beginning?

Old 11-25-2008, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider

No I just recently started smelling it,but I also just recently started riding more aggressively. I only smell it after a WOT blast.
It's no big deal to change a belt really,just hope it isn't a recurring problem if it is a problem at all.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:03 PM
DCT
Banned

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HIGHOCTANE

No I just recently started smelling it,but I also just recently started riding more aggressively. I only smell it after a WOT blast.

It's no big deal to change a belt really,just hope it isn't a recurring problem if it is a problem at all.</end quote></div>

Yep, it's what's causing it that would be my concern. Hope you get to the bottom if it soon.

Good luck HO

Old 11-25-2008, 08:11 PM
Range Rover

How many miles do you have on it now?If you take the clutch cover off look for black lines on the primary on the inside or outside sheave,if there is your clutches could be out of alignment.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:41 PM
Range Rover

I had the same thing on my RZR every time out I could smell rubber burning & thought it was the belt burning & this was just normal driving.I had done alot of wot driving & had it in an atv drag race & sled pull so I thought the belt needed to be replaced. The old belt looked as good as the new on that was put in so I dont know where the smell was coming from but I was pretty sure it was not the belt. Have not noticed anything similar with my 850.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider

My dealer just e-mailed me back and his opinion is the belt is toast or the nut backed off on the clutch,which would toast the belt. Either way sounds like a belt is in order.
I'll call him tomorrow and pick his brain some more. I might try to go pick up a belt if he has one and pull it apart over the holiday.

Nightclerk-Did the smell go away after the belt change? Did you have belt thread fibers in the housing when you pulled it? I will say one thing that is odd is when I put my nose to the clutch housing exhaust/intake I don't smell burnt rubber. But it is definitely there while riding aggressively...kind of has me baffled. I sniffed all over wiht the machine sitting and can't locate the smell. I can then take it out and beat on it a little and smell it consistently.
I'm sure pulling the cover would tell the story,but I don't want to do that until I have the belt in hand. I hate to take the machine down until I have one so if it needs it I can replace it and be done with it.
I'm not totally convinced the belt is bad,I know there is alot of friction normally and I'm wondering if the XP's different design is just making the smell of normal belt wear/break-in easier to detect.

plumbob-thanks, I'll carefully inspect the clutches when I pull it apart. I don't think it is an alignment issue as it shifts easy and doesn't creep at all. But who knows,anything is possible.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:32 PM
Range Rover

I have smelled a little bit of burning on mine as well, but I did on the 800 when it was new and after replacing the belt once. I hope its just normal the belts for these 850's are a little spendy.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: WOLF1

I have smelled a little bit of burning on mine as well, but I did on the 800 when it was new and after replacing the belt once. I hope its just normal the belts for these 850's are a little spendy.</end quote></div>

Thanks Wolf. I hope is is normal as well. It may be normal but I have never noticed it on another Polaris before unless the belt was obviously toasted with other symptoms.
Also my dealer suggested it isn't normal and he has ALOT of experience with them.
It just isn't bad enough to convince me,but is unusual enough to me for concern.
I might just beat the snot out of it and see if I can get it to give a sure indication of failure,lol.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:43 PM
Range Rover

HIGHOCTANE, how many miles do you have on it now?

Old 11-25-2008, 09:49 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Here I have 2 theorys.But first is this belt the same one they use in every polaris cvt atv?If it is it could be polaris did'nt take into account the torque and horsepower</end quote></div>

I don,t think so , the belts and CVT are the same as found on Polaris Snowmachines in strength , newer or older the CVT was always designed with well over 100-180hp sled engines in mine.

If anything the CVT and Belt on a low powerd ATV would be a walk in the Park for them to handle.

There is a well known video of a guy who put a 120 HP 2 stroke XC 700 snowmobile motor in his 500 Scrambler and he left the CTV,tranny and Belt stock.

120 hp 700 Scrambler

Whats the highest powered ATV made? 70hp tops maybe.

Quick Reply: Think the belt on my XP might be going south...