Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Think the belt on my XP might be going south...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 09:52 PM
Shapeshifter Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think the belt on my XP might be going south...

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TLC

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Here I have 2 theorys.But first is this belt the same one they use in every polaris cvt atv?If it is it could be polaris did'nt take into account the torque and horsepower</end quote></div>

I don,t think so , the belts and CVT are the same as found on Polaris Snowmachines in strength , newer or older the CVT was always designed with well over 100-180hp sled engines in mine.

If anything the CVT and Belt on a low powerd ATV would be a walk in the Park for them to handle.

There is a well known video of a guy who put a 120 HP 2 stroke XC 700 snowmobile motor in his 500 Scrambler and he left the CTV,tranny and Belt stock.

120 hp 700 Scrambler

Whats the highest powered ATV made? 70hp tops maybe.</end quote></div>

i know that thing is awesome.The clutch could'nt handle what i put it through though never Ever sit and rev the hell out of your machine.My clutch blew up

Old 11-25-2008, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider

Right at 25 hours, I haven't even looked at mileage in a while but probably 150 or so.
I run mostly low range on slow challenging trails. I never smell it on the trail. Only when I come out and play in the open fields. I occasionally do some WOT passes in the field,thats when I get the smell. I've ridden Polaris's since about 1996,Sportsmans,Scramblers and everything in between,alot of them brand new,so I'm used to the break in smells ect..(FIL was a dealer)and never noticed this smell unless a belt was fried,but in those cases there was usually other symptoms. Smoke,vibe,obvious slip ect..
Possible I just never noticed it? I guess so,you tell me..

Old 11-25-2008, 10:02 PM
DCT
Banned

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HIGHOCTANE

I might just beat the snot out of it and see if I can get it to give a sure indication of failure,lol.</end quote></div>

That's the spirit! LOL LOL LOL

Old 11-25-2008, 10:11 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HIGHOCTANE

Right at 25 hours, I haven't even looked at mileage in a while but probably 150 or so.

I run mostly low range on slow challenging trails. I never smell it on the trail. Only when I come out and play in the open fields. I occasionally do some WOT passes in the field,thats when I get the smell. I've ridden Polaris's since about 1996,Sportsmans,Scramblers and everything in between,alot of them brand new,so I'm used to the break in smells ect..(FIL was a dealer)and never noticed this smell unless a belt was fried,but in those cases there was usually other symptoms. Smoke,vibe,obvious slip ect..

Possible I just never noticed it? I guess so,you tell me..</end quote></div>

Thats about the same mileage I have, not as many hours though. I can't say its normal to smell the belt, but I hope so!!
I know I replaced the belts on my 250 and 400 this summer and didn't notice any smell, but did on the 800.
I had quite a bit of belt trouble on my old 02 sp 500. It finally took a new "updated" primary clutch to fix it, no problems since.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:11 AM
Range Rover

Whatever the problem is Highoctane, I hope you get it figured out soon. Mine has about 20 hours and 160 ish miles, and I have not smelled anything burning, yet. (Knocks on wood)

Old 11-26-2008, 08:07 AM
Pro Rider

I smelled THAT smell only once on my 850 but it was my fault, I was putting around on an old logging road (4 or 5 mph) when I started to smell that rubber burnning smell and realized I was in high range instead of low!
I don't think I hurt anything as there has been no smells since then!
Man, I'm a dummy sometimes! Maybe it's just old age creeping up on me or something! lol Pay attention dummy! lol![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-26-2008, 11:55 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote> smelled THAT smell only once on my 850 but it was my fault, I was putting around on an old logging road (4 or 5 mph) when I started to smell that rubber burnning smell and realized I was in high range instead of low! </end quote></div>

Still ,even in High range which I use 90% of the time you should not have a belt problem in general riding conditions.

I only use low on some slow technical trail where there is thick mud,large boulders to crawl over or slowly climbing a steep long hill.

It takes alot to get a belt to act up even in High range.

I putt around the yard at 5mph in High range all the time.

You do know that new belts should have a breakin Period.

Here a post about it http://www.hardcoresledder.com...index.php/t191806.html

Its a sled forum but like I said same sh#T different pile ,is all.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider

Well I have 2 bits of good news.1) The clutch cover is very easy to remove and 2) My belt looks fine,like new actually.
That got me thinking. I think the problem is that during my "break-in" I was too easy on the belt and it still isn't properly broken in.
I've unconsciously treated the XP more with kid gloves during break-in than I have any other ATV I've owned. I usually just don't really do a break in perse,I just ride normally with the exception of heavy towing and WOT operation.
I guess in the back of my mind I was worried about 1st year problems and didn't want to give Polaris any reason to deny a warranty claim. Probably the same reason I'm paranoid about it,lol.
So long story short the belt is fine and I just need to put some normal mileage on it before riding wheelies again.

BTW,and I'm sure this is not news to most of you, after talking to a very experienced Polaris Tech I have confirmed that a burning rubber smell is always a bad thing,is not normal and isn't good for the belt. lol.
He also said regardless of what the manual says he considers 200 normal miles a proper belt/clutch break-in After that heavy towing and WOT operation are fair game.

EDIT-TLC you kind of beat me to it. Yes I think everyone knows belts have a break-in period,but I think being too easy on it will extend that period. And also I thin maybe Polaris 10/100 break in might not be long enough for the belt,especially if you are babying it like I was.
I've never had the problem because I've never babied a machine like I have this one therefore the belt broke in faster. Again I'm not saying beat on it from day one. Ride it normally stay away from WOT and towing.
Wish I would have washed it while I had it apart...that would likely speed upthe break-in.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:36 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

http://quad.transworld.net/200...mechanic-confidential/

This is a post of interviewed ATV Mechanics ,at the bottom is there method of a belt break in.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Longer Belt LifeIn the effort to gather all of the information about the current 4×4s for this article we ran across a couple of mechanics who believed strongly that the belt issues that are noticed (specifically on the AC and Kawi models) could be reduced by utilizing a break-in period. All belt-driven 4×4s would benefit from a 10- to 20-hour break-in time. The technique behind the break-in is not to stab the throttle or undergo quick acceleration for the first 10-plus hours of operation. This allows the belt to stretch properly and seat onto the pulleys. Obviously, this process should be repeated whenever a new belt is added to your 4×4. </end quote></div>

I like the read Every ATV has its quirks.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:40 PM
H20
Trailblazer

I have many years of snowmobile clutch experience and not much ATV clutch experience.
If you only smoke your belt once even though everything works and looks fine.... you will not be running at 100%
There are three reasons a belt will smell. Heat, slippage and alignment.
Even if you replace your belt.... it will not cure the real problem.
You and or your dealer must address the primary and secondary setup.
First determine which clutch the belt is slipping on by looking for wear (black marks) from there you will know which one needs attention.
The new 850 is running a new team roller secondary.... I would suspect that it needs a different spring helix setup.
BTW I own a 06 900 RMK mountain sled and polaris really screwed up the clutching on that sled from factory setup. I burned up my first belt at 32 miles.
There were so many that had these problems.... that with the outcry on forums like this Dealers were forced to warranty belts for these sleds.
After some research and addressing the problem I ran over 1000 miles of aggressive mountain riding last year without any wear on the belt.
I am going to continue to run this belt this season also.
Good luck with the fix and keep us informed as to your findings.

Quick Reply: Think the belt on my XP might be going south...