Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Think the belt on my XP might be going south...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think the belt on my XP might be going south...

I inspected the clutches,they too looked perfect,not a mark...literally looked new.
Same with the belt,not a hint of glazing,nothing. I agree the smell comes from the belt getting hot and rubber burning, but looking at the belt and clutches you wouldn't know it had happened. I think it was mild slipping and I didn't continue to romp on it after I smelled it either time,even though the 1st time I wasn't sure the smell was coming from the machine,I knew it was a possibility and didn't lay into anymore. Now the spring set up is a possibility and time will tell. If it is we will all discover it shortly.
For now I am going to ride it,give it some more break in time and see what happens.
On a side note the the clutch housing ventilation set up on the XP appears to work well,the belt dust i found in the end of the exhaust snorkel was the only dust in the housing.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TLC

Still ,even in High range which I use 90% of the time you should not have a belt problem in general riding conditions.

</end quote></div>

I agree,although I don't putt around at low speeds in high,that on fairly level terrain putting around at 5 mph in high should not slip nor burn the belt. I used to on the 800 occasionally,no need to with the 850's higher low range though. At 5 mph even,you are well above belt engagement RPM. The problem with extended low speed high range operation is heat build up due to less airflow around the clutches. As long as the belt is engaged there is no more stress on it at 5 mph than there is at 30mph(less actually),the difference is airflow generated by the clutches spinning is less at 5mph due to slower clutch speed. That is why the manual says for "longer belt life" operate in low when "speeds are less than 7 mph for an [extended time". If that scenario would burn a belt the manual would say something like "To prevent belt damage do not operate in high below 7 mph except for very brief periods such as trasitioning from a stop".

Old 11-26-2008, 01:48 PM
DCT
Banned

HO,

Glad everything seems good.

Keep us updated.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider

I havent noticed this on mine and I have been running it pretty hard on the gravel road from the hunting camp to my turnoff to my deer stand about 2 miles,im gonna get a video of it running 80mph? I will keep an eye on mine also...

Old 11-26-2008, 02:40 PM
Pro Rider

Rut I only noticed the smell briefly when I stopped after a quick WOT blast. I imagine as long as you are moving you won't smell it unless it is really cooking.

Old 11-26-2008, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

There are other things that could smell on a new machine. During break-in any oils or even the paint could put off a smell if it is near the exhaust or engine. Give it some time. I personally think you're okay. But, I'm a better carpenter than mechanic.

Old 11-26-2008, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider

Moose-yeah I think it is fine. I'm familiar with norma lsmells from new machines, it definitely isn't any normal break-in smells I have smelled before...smelled like burning rubber. And it only does it after a WOT blast from low speed. But you know what? Now that you mention it there is something on the XP that I haven't seen on another machines that just might explain it!! The exhaust has a fiber filled heat shied..it's possible that could be burning a little and giving off a burnt rubber smell...hmmm
Thanks for getting my wheels turning in a new direction. Sometimes you can't see the forrest for the trees.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:33 PM
Range Rover

HIGHOCTANE after I changed my belt on my RZR I didn't notice the burning smell like before. There were no fibers at all in the cover & the belt looked like new & had nearly 2000 miles on it. I never did figure out where the smell came form but every time I would stop I would get the smell even other bikers could smell it if they got real close to my bike. It worked great so I thought it may be just a "normal" thing. I haven't had it with my 850 no any of the back firing that others are mentioning in other post but I always run premium gas in my bikes.

Old 11-27-2008, 06:06 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

H.O., is the fiber heat shield stuck on like a band-aid, i.e., glued on? That may be the smell if it is. We used fiberglass reinforcements inside of car doors we built, and heat cures the adhesive. I'm wondering if it's similar.

If it's <u>not</u> glued on, maybe the belt did get hot enough to smell but not smoke. As long as it didn't smoke and everything looks good as you say, I think it's okay.

Frank

Old 11-27-2008, 10:05 AM
Pro Rider

Frank- I still think it was the belt,I just want to eliminate the possibility that is was something else. So if other guys start smelling it they wont think it is the belt if it isn't.
I think that is exactly what happened, the belt just got hot enough to smell a little but not hot enough to do damage since I stopped what was making it get hot.

The fiber is sandwiched between a thin formed metal shell and the exhaust pipe. From a distance it just looks like a large exhaust pipe,when you look closer you can see it is 2 formed pieces of metal clamped on the pipe with band clamps. Where the 2 pieces meet together there is a seam running down the pipe, you can see the fiber inside. Not sure but I would think for ease of assembly the fiber is attached somehow to the formed metal pieces?
I think that is exactly what happened,got hot enough to smell a little but not hot enough to do damage since I stopped what was making it get hot.

Quick Reply: Think the belt on my XP might be going south...