Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Question for 550 XP owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 07:24 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for 550 XP owners

I got a chance to look at a 550 today. No test drive as it was on the 2nd floor of the dealership but I did pull forward and back a few times on the showroom floor. My question, does the clutch engagement get any smoother after you get some miles on the belt. I was surprised, and disappointed, with the engangement. Nothing subtle about it. One second you are just sitting and the next second you lurch forward 6 inches. Felt like my 500 when it is cold and the clutch sticks. It was slightly better in High but not much. I tried an 850 and it was much more controlable. I really thought I wanted a 550 but the clutch engagement has me concerned. I would get an 850 but really have a hard time justifying the extra expense for 30 more HP that wouldn't get used. So how about it, does it get any smoother with age?

Old 12-02-2008, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider

I have not noticed that problem with my 550. It shifts way smoother than my 07 800. Not sure why that model would be like that , but mine has never acted that way. However my suspension got WAY smoother with a few miles on it.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

I noticed the 550XP I drove seemed rough almost snappy as well. Dealer told me it just needed some miles on it to break in.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:20 PM
Trailblazer

...DOE....
I concour ,as i had an 02 700 before and this is much smother<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: dslanec

I have not noticed that problem with my 550. It shifts way smoother than my 07 800. Not sure why that model would be like that , but mine has never acted that way. However my suspension got WAY smoother with a few miles on it.</end quote></div>

Old 12-02-2008, 11:21 PM
Trailblazer

I just saw a post on another forum where an 850 owner is complaining of the same issue. Says it almost chirps the tires every time he tries to slowly creep forward. I am going to look for another 550 to test. I really hope this is not normal because otherwise, I really like the 550.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

I agree you should try another one. This machine is better in almost(storage-power) every way over my 800. Hopefully in a year i can get the 850 for me!!

Old 12-03-2008, 12:57 AM
Range Rover

I know mine engages pretty darn smooth, especially in low. Absolutley wonderful for difficult, technical terrain, you can creep around nice and slow as much as you need to. Sounds like something is up with that one, but then again, maybe it will "loosen" up with break in, who knows? But that is a good idea to try a different one, consider test driving an 850, the power is really addicting, 30hp more on the same frame with very little weight difference = huge smile!!!!

Old 12-03-2008, 07:01 AM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: opie1har

I consider test driving an 850, the power is really addicting, 30hp more on the same frame with very little weight difference = huge smile!!!!</end quote></div>

Huge smile = $1200 which means no winch, no snow plow, no brushguard and no storage box. I have two in college and am on a really tight budget. I worked two jobs from July through September so that I could raise money for a new ATV without impacting family finances. $8k is my budget and I can't go a penny over.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:15 AM
DCT
Banned

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: miande

I got a chance to look at a 550 today. No test drive as it was on the 2nd floor of the dealership but I did pull forward and back a few times on the showroom floor. My question, does the clutch engagement get any smoother after you get some miles on the belt. I was surprised, and disappointed, with the engangement. Nothing subtle about it. One second you are just sitting and the next second you lurch forward 6 inches. Felt like my 500 when it is cold and the clutch sticks. It was slightly better in High but not much. I tried an 850 and it was much more controlable. I really thought I wanted a 550 but the clutch engagement has me concerned. I would get an 850 but really have a hard time justifying the extra expense for 30 more HP that wouldn't get used. So how about it, does it get any smoother with age?</end quote></div>

Tell the dealer you don't like how the clutch engages and ask him to adjust it and then let you take it for a ride. If he refuses, or tells you that "normal" and it will bet better when it breaks in... I would walk away and look at a different quad.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:56 AM
Range Rover

I have almost 500 miles on mine and it does get smoother, but even brand new it was smoother than my 07.

Quick Reply: Question for 550 XP owners