Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1997 sportsman 500

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 11:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 sportsman 500

i have a 97 sportsman 500 with no spark. the pull cord broke off inside the case. the metal clog broke in 2 and was rattleing around inside the case. 2-3 min. before the machine just quit. i pulled the case off and the whole pull cord assy. was wasted. i was told the clog most likely broke a wire on the stator? nope, had the stator checked its fine. dealer is telling me its the CDI? but if i change the CDI i should chage the regulator as well? before i go fishing, i really would like to have some more ideas?

Old 12-18-2008, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider

I would check the air gap on the trigger coil on the stator plate. i've seen ropes, magnets, and recoil breaks that will bend it too far away from the tab on the flywheel. i believe the gap should be around .016 to .030 inch.
It makes sense that broken recoil parts floating around and then it quits that the problem is in the recoil/stator area.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:50 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Yes, check the pluse coil first ,it may of took the beating and the part is cheap. Its the little black box next to the flywheel.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

where / what is the air gap on the trigger coil? I sent my whole stator assy. to Ricky Stator,everything checked out better than new he said. I agree with you about the problem being in this area? Running great then just quits after the recoil breaks? I was thinking maybe the broken metal piece shorted out the CDI? I have power to everthing else starter, lights, etc... just no spark.

Old 12-20-2008, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Sportman 97

where / what is the air gap on the trigger coil? I sent my whole stator assy. to Ricky Stator,everything checked out better than new he said. I agree with you about the problem being in this area? Running great then just quits after the recoil breaks? I was thinking maybe the broken metal piece shorted out the CDI? I have power to everthing else starter, lights, etc... just no spark.</end quote></div>

The gap is the difference between the pulse coil and a tab on the side of the flywheel. You will have power to everything else because the battery is the power source for them. Even if the guy checked the stator(assuming he's ohm testing it and not actually installing it and running it on a machine) he may not see the pulse coil air gap being too much. I don't know how he tested it so I'm not being negative at all towards him. The pulse coil is the coil on the outside of the flywheel. The charge, exciter coils, etc are underneath(inside) the flywheel. There is a raised tab on the side of the flywheel and thats where you need to check the gap. If it got moved the thickness of matchbook cover, it could be enough to cause it to have problems. When you get it back and installed, before you put the recoil back on, PM me and I'll give you my phone number and try to explain it to you over the phone on how to check/adjust it.

Old 12-20-2008, 05:24 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Trigger coil is just another name for pulse coil. Polaris parts site use the term pulse coil.

Old 12-20-2008, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TLC

Trigger coil is just another name for pulse coil. Polaris parts site use the term pulse coil.</end quote></div>

Fixed.

I have an old stator and flywheel here i could send you pics of. Either e-mail or pic text if you want. Let me know via pm if you want.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

i should have my stator back monday or tuesday. i thought the plus coil was all part of the stator. i will look at the pics on polaris web site. thanks again.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Wassup, I am new to the forum, but I am having similar probs with my ATV. I have a Magnum 425 and my spark plug is dead. I replaced the plug and the ignition coil and nothing. I tested the coil and I am not getting fire to the Ignition coil. Its turning nice from the button start but I am not getting a spark from the plug. I hear alot of talk about "CDI Unit" but I am not sure if thats the prob, it seems to be in tack. Any ideas outh there? Also is it possible to start the atv from the pull rope.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:47 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Mag 425

Wassup, I am new to the forum, but I am having similar probs with my ATV. I have a Magnum 425 and my spark plug is dead. I replaced the plug and the ignition coil and nothing. I tested the coil and I am not getting fire to the Ignition coil. Its turning nice from the button start but I am not getting a spark from the plug. I hear alot of talk about "CDI Unit" but I am not sure if thats the prob, it seems to be in tack. Any ideas outh there? Also is it possible to start the atv from the pull rope.</end quote></div>

You will need to test the stator to see if it has gone bad. Have you removed the black wire to the reverse limiter? Try that first, they went bad somewhat frequently in earlier years. Remove the black wire from the cdi box and try it also. let us know if ytou need more help.

Quick Reply: 1997 sportsman 500