Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

polaris ranger/gator project help

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 01:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polaris ranger/gator project help

hey, im currently deployed in iraq right now. in our motorpool we recieved a striped down gator and a brand new polaris motor out of a ranger. we dont know what year the motor is. well after a month we have it all togeather, mounted and running. we ran into a problem tho. were using the tranny in the gator is the stock one that came with it ( 4 wheel gator not 6 ) and the clutch on the tranny also. and on the motor we have the stock polaris clutch and belt. the motor will rev high and only back fire every so often, but when we drive it, we will floor it and the motor sounds like its only running at about half throttle keep in mind when its not in gear and we do the same thing, its fine. it feels like it has no power to it at all. it also backfiers on deceleration when it does this. we were thinking it might be the john deer clutch on the tranny, but we cant figure it out.. any help on out Frankenstein project would be appreciated. engine is carbureted, 500 CC single cylinder, has fairly open intake and exhaust.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like the clutching is wrong and not letting the motor build up RPM. kinda the same thing of taking off in high gear on a truck or missing a gear. it wants to pull but cant get into the rpm range needed for the motor to have the torque it needs. your probably going to have to rebuild the secondary clutch to match the shifting that the motor is expected. new helix probably new spring too. might even have to venture up into the drive clutch and change springs and weights in there.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks, were going to try that, anyone else have anything?

Old 01-05-2009, 01:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

heres a few pix for you guys...

Old 01-05-2009, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider

thats one heck of a contraption

Old 01-05-2009, 02:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks, yea.. it wants to go fast and has loads of torque.. just need to figure out whats causing it to fall on its face...

Old 01-05-2009, 02:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

oh, and the turbo isnt installed, we might put it in this.. but we need it to run good first..

Old 01-05-2009, 02:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I can't help but to wonder why motorpool delpoyed in Iraq is working on this in the first place?

Old 01-05-2009, 03:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

one of our guys actual job is small engine, pressure washer and chemical equipment repair, this is a side project to the washers and stuff we have. its legitimate, were going to use it as a means to go pick up parts from the warehouse for the rest of the motor pool, since "fob runner vehicles" ( non mission vehicles ) are hard to come by. its not a screw around project. the turbo, yes is partially for fun, but the guy whos doing most of the work has alot of experience with turbos, so he wants to see if he can make it work on this. its also got the support from out whole chain of command, everyone thinks its an awesome project.. plus the war is pretty much over, so we gotta stay occupied for the rest of the year...

Old 01-05-2009, 03:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

It sounds like a neat project trying to put a Popo engine and CVT in a Gator..kind of reminds my of a "Myth Buster" project can it be done!!!!LOL!

I wonder if I can put the 255HP Sea Doo engine in my X2?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

~MT[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: polaris ranger/gator project help