Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2 up seat Q's

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 up seat Q's

Good grief, after reading this, I feel like selling my ATV.

I have a spinal cord injury suffered in a car wreck and that was over forty years ago; never gets better and actually gets worse as you age. I still occasionally ride my wife on my ATV and firmly believe that if you ride within the limits of the machine and your abilities, it can be done safely. I ride very slowly and if a hill is anywhere near questionable, my wife gets off and walks up or we just turn around. I don't think I would feel any safer on a X2 as I just don't see ANY ATV as being really stable riding two up, but if you are going to ride two up regularly I would recommend one. I would be a little concerned over new riders having a false sense of security until they learn their machine's capabilities. ANYTHING will back flip under the right circumstances and due caution should always be taken.
Another thing to consider when choosing what to ride and whether to ride two up on any ATV is the physical ability/agility of the rider and passenger as well as their skill. Having ridden street bikes and dirt bikes with passengers for years I have hit the pavement more than once when a novice passenger bailed or leaned the wrong way to "help" me.

For all of the safety reasons/concerns mentioned, I bought a Rhino that my wife and I can enjoy riding the trails, woods and such. You just cannot make an ATV that approaches the safety of the rider and passenger provided by an RUV/UTV.

I think the bottom line is to know your machine and its limitations and BE CAREFUL.
Just my opinion for what it's worth, yours may vary and may be more valid.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default 2 up seat Q's

Yea some a few of those replies would make you want to sell your atv altogether but cant let that get ot you and use good judgement,she will get off if it got that narly so I take it with a grain of salt. just wanted som opinons on the seats is all.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default 2 up seat Q's

Rutcutter,

No, I really don't worry about that stuff. I have ridden motorcycles both in the dirt and on the street since I was eighteen and people always told me I would get killed or seriously injured on one, but I was a passenger in a car when I got hurt. I spent about five months in a hospital bed and two years in rehabilitation so I could get back out and enjoy life as much as I can.

While I understand and appreciate all of the advice, we are all adults here and must make our own decisions. I am comfortable with the ones I have made. My wife also rode motorcycles including in the dirt, so she is well aware of when and how to bail if necessary. She rides the ATV as much as I do, so she is familiar with it.

I agree, you can be safe if you know yourself, passenger and machine and operate within those boundaries.