Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Belt Chatter

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 02:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Belt Chatter

Sportsman 500 EFI 07, 50 hrs 500 mi. Easy rider...no race, donuts, mud etc. I use low range under 7 mph..BUT...went up to snow last week. No problem until it became too deep...and then I got stuck turning around.....not real bad, BUT after spinning wheels in awd I noticed I was in High. Then a small amount of smoke appeared with a smell. OH OH. No problem driving it back to truck {approx 20 mins at 20 mph}. Loaded it on and off truck. Didnt notice anything wrong. Next day I washed it with garden hose with pretty good presure [not power hose]. When I finished I drove it around to dry it off. When putting it away I had to use reverse and low. At first I thought the engine was cutting out but no. It would jerk a few times before engaging in both positions [didnt try override]. I pulled drain plug from belt housing, no evidence of water. Next day still jerking. Do I need a new belt? I have a little over 1 month left on my 6 month warranty. What do you all think? Thanks in advance for your thoughts. Ron

Old 01-23-2009, 05:21 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Belt Chatter

you could have burnt a flat spot onthe belt if you saw smoke and smelled it then you did burn the belt some. not too sure if it would actually jerk like your explaining though. does it do it once your going? try it in low and high to see if its doing the same thing. while in low it shouldnt have much issue taking off. let us know.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:55 AM
Pro Rider
Default Belt Chatter

You might have hour glassed the the belt in a few places..that can cause it to be jerky...

Old 02-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Belt Chatter

Sorry for the delay. It seems to be getting better [ less jerky] and it is only in low or reverse on take off. [cold or warm] Smooth everywhere else.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] How many panels and how easy to remove clutch cover and look? And what am I looking for? Should I buy a spare belt? Thanks for your comments. Ron

Old 02-08-2009, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default Belt Chatter

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Veryoldron

Sorry for the delay. It seems to be getting better [ less jerky] and it is only in low or reverse on take off. [cold or warm] Smooth everywhere else.[img][/img] How many panels and how easy to remove clutch cover and look? And what am I looking for? Should I buy a spare belt? Thanks for your comments. Ron</end quote></div>

Remove seat
Remove or loosen cab and footwell fasteners as necessary to gain access to PVT outer cover
Remove PVT air outlet duct hose
Remove outer PVT cover screws

Old 02-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Range Rover
Default Belt Chatter

Yeah, sounds like you "hourglassed" the belt. I did that to my Scrambler the first time I had it out because I wasn't used to riding a machine with a PVT and I found a nice deep mud hole. Warranty doesn't cover it, but my dealer gave me a new belt at their cost and didn't charge me to replace it.