Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 09:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

]My RotoPak - Lov'm

Old 06-01-2009, 10:26 PM
Pro Rider

i finly broke down and got the 2ga x 2 rotopax gas packs and the 2 alum mounts. paid $128 i hope there worth it. i also intend on mounting it to the front rack. i have a plan on how to do it. i dont want to drill any holes in the front rack. wish id get them already. evon tho its only been one day... lol.

hey Primer7

is the sheet alum or stainless? no holes drilled? hows that work for ya?

thanks
chuck

Old 06-02-2009, 12:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

Sheet aluminum, used the existing holes from the tie down rail. I used small pvc pipe 1" long as spacers to keep the bracket mount screws from hitting the top of the storage on the front. You'll need to buy longer screws to mount the plate and use lock nuts.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:00 AM
Pro Rider

i was planning the same idea cept useig 2 13"x9" alum pieces. and getting spacers and stainless bolts and nuts so it dont rust. i ordered my packs and mounts on sunday. hope the will be here on fri or sooner. do the rotopax mounts inclued harware? i ask since id like to have it clean and neet on both sides, since i dont want the bolts to wear into the plastic cover. maybe evon use like a flared screw to it counter sinks. are the threads on the mounts to thread a bolt to it?

chuck

Old 06-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Range Rover

Primer7 is my riding buddy so I've seen his installation - nice clean job. He also added rubber strips on top of the aluminium (after he took the photos). I'm thinking of using some carpet strips.

Chuck, the mounts are not threaded. Not sure what you'd countersink unless you use a thick piece of aluminium. Otherwise make sure you use rounded head bolts as the heads will be under the tanks, and the nuts go inside the storage box. Use large washers so it doesn't wear out the plastic underneath.

Before you drill the plate make sure you leave enough clearance for the headlight to move with the handlebars. I'm just hoping that I can keep my rack extender!

The other thing to consider is adding a cable that prevents the lid from breaking the hinges when open with the extra load on it. I remember seeing photos on the forum of someone who had done it. I thought it was a good idea. I think he attached it to the plastic inside the box, but I'm probably going to tie it off to the main bolts that hold the box on.

Don't mean to be patronizing, but it might save you some time.

Chuck, as for waiting for the tanks, I know what you mean; I ordered mine on Monday and UPS tracking has me on schedule for delivery tomorrow, but I'm only one state away. I want to get them installed by the weekend. By the way, did you get Jason to include the free water tank?

On a related note - have you guys seen the Polaris fender bags? You can see one in primers photos below. I have two mounted on my quad also - they're awesome, especially when your front rack is loaded to the hilt. Great for those frequent access items like binoculars, gloves, sunglasses, maps, etc.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider

That was me with the lid cable, here are some more pics for ya

Old 06-03-2009, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider

I have both the Roto-Pax and the Kolpin products. I have yet to use the Rot-Pax as I just received them. I did NOT get the free 2 gallon waterpak with my purchase that some others did. I called and spoke with Jason @ Rotopax about this and I need to give him a call back tomorrow to see if he can still accomodate that. I will let you know what I find out, if not I may consider returning the Rotopax since they have not been used.

Also the new XP lock'n'ride front cargo box comes with a wire similar to how 700 Sportsman modded his front storage tub.

Here are some pictures of the varying mounting options I have setup. I can put the RotoPax on the front or rear. I can only put the Kolpinns on the rear, they do no fit over the rotopax aluminum mounts that I have up front.

Here are the RotoPax (2-2 Gallons)

Here are the Kolpins (2-1.5 Gallons)

Old 06-03-2009, 12:29 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by SomethingFishy
I have both the Roto-Pax and the Kolpin products. I have yet to use the Rot-Pax as I just received them. I did NOT get the free 2 gallon waterpak with my purchase that some others did. I called and spoke with Jason @ Rotopax about this and I need to give him a call back tomorrow to see if he can still accomodate that. I will let you know what I find out, if not I may consider returning the Rotopax since they have not been used.

Also the new XP lock'n'ride front cargo box comes with a wire similar to how 700 Sportsman modded his front storage tub.

Here are some pictures of the varying mounting options I have setup. I can put the RotoPax on the front or rear. I can only put the Kolpinns on the rear, they do no fit over the rotopax aluminum mounts that I have up front.

Here are the RotoPax (2-2 Gallons)
Nice looking setup with all the right options. I still haven't mounted mine yet but I need to this week. For the rear mount on yours setup did you bolt the mount plates right through the back of the rear box? If possible can post a couple pics of how you bolted the plates to the front and rear boxes?

- brian

Old 06-03-2009, 01:18 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Ruggo
For the rear mount on yours setup did you bolt the mount plates right through the back of the rear box? If possible can post a couple pics of how you bolted the plates to the front and rear boxes?

- brian
On the front box I just drilled a few holes and ran some bolts/washers/lock nuts and siliconed around them.

On the rear I did not mount to the cargo box. I removed the rear rack and drilled a few holes once again bolts/washers/lock on these I used stainless since they were handy. I had to modify (cut out) part of the mounting bracket at the base to accomodate for the box and so I could get the top bolts in for my atv-guru rear brushguard.

Front Mount Pics

Rear mount pics

Old 06-03-2009, 02:51 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks Something Fishy! I hate to be a copy cat but they say copying is the biggest sign of flattery! I like the versatility of mounting where and what I want. I'll post some pics when I am done.

Thanks again

- brian

Quick Reply: rotopax or Kolpin gas can