Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Help Front Brake bleeder

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 10:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Front Brake bleeder

I really did it this time. So I brought my 2006 800EFI back from my farm to clean it up and lube the joints. It has 35 hours and I know that the manual says to grese it after 50 hours but I thought might as well do it now. I was looking for the front grease fitting in the manuals diagram and thought that I found it and greased it. Holy %@$. I just greased the front brake bleeder screw. I could not believe it. Now I am not sure how much grease got in the line as my grease gun was not working properly and as I pumped it grease came out around the fitting. My question and this may be obvious is how do I know if grease got in the brake line? I did not pump the front brake and I am hoping that it did not get any grease in the line. Any suggestions? Also how many grease points are there and their locations. I can see a few but I do not want to miss any. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:58 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

HOLD front brake lever in and lock,break loose bleed screw,do this a couple times. Probably couldn't get much grease in if any!! have had customers do the same thing with no ill effects!! AS long as break has good pressure afterward! Every model different,some have only one on the propshaft,some have several! JUST check where there is a bushing! Most are "LIFETIME SEALED" with no fitting,whatever lifetime means, my lifetime, the machines,OR just the bushings lifetime!!!! DONT care for this "improvement"

Old 03-07-2009, 11:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you so much. I do not think that much if any got in. I'll check in the morning.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bushcreek if you didn't open the brake bleeder valve before you tried to grease it there wouldn't be any grease that got into the brake line , and old polaris tech would know more about the location of the grease fitting on your quad ; i agree with him about not liking the fact that polaris and most all manufacturers no longer put fittings on the quads anymore !

But it's happening to about everything now days even automobiles aren't using grease fittings anymore , even most aftermarket parts are getting very hard to find with zerk fittings on replacement parts ; their excuse is that many home machanics put to much grease and bust the rubber seals when they do it theirselfs shorting the life of the parts as some did !

But manufacturers could've put instructions warning of putting to much grease and busting the seals , and with most parts being made in china the instructions would be in chinese most likely ; it should be an option anyway i guess they want the parts to wear out sooner than later for more profit the way it is !

I hope this helps , and welcome to the forums !........

Old 03-08-2009, 07:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Willibee
Thank you for your response. I rode for a few hours today and did not notice any issues. I think you are right. Thanks again.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:19 PM
Range Rover

You couldn't get grease into the bleeder if you tried, unless you loosened it up first![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]