Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Electrical Problem 2006 sportsman 450

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 09:22 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electrical Problem 2006 sportsman 450

Yes ECM.......on third one...........Caper...........

Old 03-26-2009, 06:03 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has 1552 miles and has had the recommended services done (I think, I had a service contract with the place I bought it until last year so I took it in every few months and they were supposed to do the needed service.)

I didn't think the missing hose was causing the clicking or any of the problems only it looks like there is a little discoloration and stains below where this should attach. If I'm not mistaken I believe that is where the starter is. The hose is there to reroute any overflow away from those parts for some reason. Also if there was an overflow, what might have caused this?

The clicking has me wondering how this reports the RPMs. Something has to be in there that tells how many times it rotates. I was thinking that maybe what ever that is, it's loose or something.

You are on your 3rd ECM. How did you know that it was bad the other two times?

Old 03-26-2009, 10:54 PM

First time (factory one) the Quad would shut off when the headlights were turn on .....Two solid state circuit breakers inside shutting down the motor for protection....So the dealer replied to me via E-mail (week-end I must add) and told me to swap them out with my wife's also a 2006 Sp 450 bought the same time from the same dealer.........Fixed the probem..........Second one I was outside cooking on the Bar-B-Que and I heard the cooling fan running on my Sportsman?????
I said WTF..........it has been siting there well over 4 hours and with no key even in the quad!!
Took it for a ride to get up to temp check the fan out came on shut off ....Works great .......NO!!
Sat overnight in the garage and the next day the battery was totally dead.....So the fan ran in my garage overnight and killed the battery......Very scary.This could has caused a fire hazzard the wiring and controls are not made to take that amount of current for so long.......Anyway I went to the dealer and BOUGHT a ECM for around 149.00 Canadian Funds here in Ontario ....But the dealer wanted my VIN number ....
Got a phone call the next day and told me to bring the old one back in and my full money refunded.......O.K. fine with me..........So really it is not Polaris that has the final say with warranty issues I believe.......The dealer has ALOT to do with it........Fine a good dealer even if it is a few hours away..It may be worth it in the long run .......Was for me!!!!!.......Thanks...........Caper...........

Old 03-27-2009, 06:20 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i dont beleave your clicking would have anything to do w/ your rpm condition. the ecm which you heard from caper, causes alot of differnt issues and even fire in some cases, so keep an eye on it. polaris even stated to unhook the battery until you ride it again until you get a new ecm. keep searching in the rear for your clicking. imo

Old 03-27-2009, 09:22 AM
Trailblazer

I read in my other thread that the new ECMs are silver. like in this picture of mine. Did you have a silver one go bad or where they both black?

Old 03-27-2009, 10:30 AM

My second one was the silver replacement.........Made in the USA(label) still from Sure Power Ind.
The factory Black one was on the label from China........Still from Sure Power Ind.

So to answer your Question........ Yes.......My second one was silver and went bad..........The fan was running without the key in the Quad...draining the batery.....Engine COLD ..................

Just to let you know my wife's Quad Yellow one in my pics had the Black factory one in there with no trouble at all until the recall came out(still working great) and got it replace to the silver one even though there was never any trouble with the Black Factory one.........Caper.......

Old 04-03-2009, 06:57 PM
Trailblazer

So I had my battery tested again and I'm convinced it's not the battery. I also tried jumping the solenoid and nothing happened. When I put a volt meter on the positive lead on the starter I get the 12 volts when I try to turn it over, so the volts are getting to the starter. I'm thinking that the starter is bad but the guy at the shop told me that they don't go bad very often.

Also on a side note. If I hold my multimeter on my battery when the machine is running, as I increase the RPMs the volts go up as expected. But at a certain point the needle and battery symbol start to flash and the volts drop well below 12 like (like 8.) I don't know what this might mean. They don't stay low but that is why the display is flashing.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by HuntRanchRider
So I had my battery tested again and I'm convinced it's not the battery. I also tried jumping the solenoid and nothing happened. When I put a volt meter on the positive lead on the starter I get the 12 volts when I try to turn it over, so the volts are getting to the starter. I'm thinking that the starter is bad but the guy at the shop told me that they don't go bad very often.

Also on a side note. If I hold my multimeter on my battery when the machine is running, as I increase the RPMs the volts go up as expected. But at a certain point the needle and battery symbol start to flash and the volts drop well below 12 like (like 8.) I don't know what this might mean. They don't stay low but that is why the display is flashing.
Sorry to thread dig but I've been searching did you find out how to fix this issue mine is doing it now, but won't start noe thinking ecm.

Thanks in advance.
Mike

Old 03-23-2017, 09:32 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Larry
Sorry to thread dig but I've been searching did you find out how to fix this issue mine is doing it now, but won't start noe thinking ecm.
8 years since he last posted,may not be around.Ecm module caused a lot of problems. It has the starter interlock,regulator, fan control, battery protection, auxiliary power,hot indicator,fan control,controls power to the dash,all the circuit breakers,etc. Too many functions for one box..http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Surepowe...RSMIKo&vxp=mtr

Old 03-23-2017, 06:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
8 years since he last posted,may not be around.Ecm module caused a lot of problems. It has the starter interlock,regulator, fan control, battery protection, auxiliary power,hot indicator,fan control,controls power to the dash,all the circuit breakers,etc. Too many functions for one box..New Surepower ECM Kit Polaris OEM 2203348 400/450/500
Thank you very much appreciated alot I will order one.
Thanks
Mike