Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler 500 clutch how to ????

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 08:24 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrambler 500 clutch how to ????

Completely new to the Polaris industry. Aleays had Honda's and Suzuki. Recently picked up an 04 Scrambler 500 4x4. I've decided to replace the primary spring with a polaris white one and change the secondary to a 2-2 setup. Now after a lot of reading I decided on this setup. Problem is it all looks good on the screen. I am going to pull apart the clutch cover this weekend. I have no idea what Im getting into and/or what I will find. Question is...
1. Will it be fairly straight foward once in or am I in for a surprise?
2. Anything else I should do or look at?
3. Will the spring go in with the colored end in or out?
4. Changing the settings on the secondary self explanitory or will I need to do some heavy research?
5. I keep reading about buttons. They should be cleaned or changed. What, where, and what are these buttons for?

Basically Im looking for a "Scrambler clutching for dummies" manual. Anyone got a link/info?

Thanks in advance. Im guessing Im over thinking this but dont want to be running back an fourth from the garage to the computer.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:53 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

On secondary clutch use a brass or deadblow hammer to knock helix(center of clutch) down to allow room to get to remove circlip. As you pull up on helix the clutch will unwind! Dont be alarmed! remove helix and spring and you will note the 3 positions in helix and inner clutch sheath. If ramp buttons are worn,edged over,REPLACE,just screw in and out. Install new spring in helix 2nd position and hold while lowering into shaft to install bottom of spring into sheath 2nd position.NOTE: helix and shaft have a wider spline that line up! After lining up and spring in place lightly push down on helix and hold upper sheath,TURN bottom sheath COUNTER clockwise 1/3 of a turn and while holding BOTH sheaths,push or knock down helix(Helix will stay in place ,JUST hold sheaths from slipping and either have someone replace circlip OR you can use a pair of c-clamp vise grips to hold both sheats while you install circlip.When you let go,sheath should spring back! And also bottom sheath should turn and spring back as you hold upper sheath. Hope this helps OPT