Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

98 sportsman 500

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 09:31 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 sportsman 500

Hi all. I am currently helping a freind revive this bike. The bike runs great until you drive it down a ditch. If I ride up the truck ramps backwards and sit for a second it will shut off. I can sit up hill just fine. Any thoughts? The clutches are out of alignment too. I can't idle it but so high for it will engage. I have some secondary shims but am having trouble romoveing the secondary. If I remove this secondary will this cause me to have to do the preload thing? I have a 05 so things are a little different. It has a busted boot too but I am concerned on the procedure since this bike has the locking hubs. Any advice would be great.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:15 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

did you guys do carb work? maybe the float is out of adjustment. sounds like it ran out of gas?? as far as the secondary goes, as long as you dont take off the c clip that holds the helix on you dont have to preload the spring.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider

Yes we did do carb work. Every jet in there was stopped up completley, but it is 100% clean now. We could not even start it and after I got through with the carb when we pushed the button for the first time it started and ran good. How do you adjust the float. I am new to the whole carb thing to atvs but not so much push mowers. I saw the float and the needle. I took the float and needle out and cleaned and reinstalled. I really didn't see an adjustmant.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:19 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the secondary clutch should just slide right off the input shaft. it has straight splines like an axle does. the primary is the only one that needs a puller

Old 04-23-2009, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider

The secondary on this machine as seized and it does have threads on the inside walls of the secondary for a puller. I bought a 1 inch fine thread bolt and am going to find something to put in the hole and then thread in the bolt and see if it will push it off. I used the 3/4 fine thread bolt and an extension to get the primary off one of my machines. I hope it works.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:31 PM
Pro Rider

I think Stendori is right. I quess I need to bend the float where it attatches to the needle just a little to get more gas into the bowl. I have searched and read some on this but alot of peoples problems are when going up hill and not down. But I feel like I am running out of gas like was said because I can incline the rear and it will idle a little and then I will shake it from side to side and it cuts off.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe the filter in the tank is bad/dirty and needs to be cleaned. you got a full tank of gas for this test right?

when you set the float it should be parallel with the carb body (carb upside down sitting on the throttle neck)

Old 04-23-2009, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider

I can get to stop cutting off on the ditch bank when I remove the fuel hose off of the right side of the carb.(side as if sitting on) This hose runs up to the fuel pump I guess. I think that it puts a sucktion on it because if I cover the tube with my finger it cuts right off. I can't get it to shut off on the hill with this removed. ????

Old 04-24-2009, 07:22 AM
Pro Rider

That line provides the vacume to the fuel pump, shouldnt have anything to do with your problem, the float should be level with the bottom of carb when upside down on a flat surface, the secondary should come off, spray penetrating oil in the hole, get a large punch and hit the end of the shaft a couple times, pry on back of clutch a little then have someone hit the shaft, they can be sticky but Ive always gotten them off.