Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

HELP 96 Scrambler 400 4x4 Wont Start

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 07:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP 96 Scrambler 400 4x4 Wont Start

Hello all,
Sry for the 1st post to be a question, I've been lurking for a few weeks on here to get a feel for the peeps and such. Great site and info!

I bought a 96 Scrambler 400 4x4 last weekend, and ir seemed to run fine but then died on me a few times. Seems when I have the gas set to ON it will die within 100ft. If I put it to RES, it will run all day long no issues.

Also, when I rode it today in 4x4 through slow thick mud, when I pulled out, I was fine, but within a few feet I heard a clunking sound and when I turned off 4x4 it died. Here is my question.

When I go to pull start it, the cord wont release at all. You can not pull it out. Battery dead. Tried in Neut, tried rolling it back a bit.

Please help. What should I do to at least get it running? Did I blow the engine since the cord wont release?

thanks

Old 06-13-2009, 08:24 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by sirmarsh
Hello all,
Sry for the 1st post to be a question, I've been lurking for a few weeks on here to get a feel for the peeps and such. Great site and info!

I bought a 96 Scrambler 400 4x4 last weekend, and ir seemed to run fine but then died on me a few times. Seems when I have the gas set to ON it will die within 100ft. If I put it to RES, it will run all day long no issues.

Also, when I rode it today in 4x4 through slow thick mud, when I pulled out, I was fine, but within a few feet I heard a clunking sound and when I turned off 4x4 it died. Here is my question.

When I go to pull start it, the cord wont release at all. You can not pull it out. Battery dead. Tried in Neut, tried rolling it back a bit.

Please help. What should I do to at least get it running? Did I blow the engine since the cord wont release?

thanks
Could be that fuel valve filter in the ON position is partially stopped up in the tank. reserve goes lower down in the tank(has a filter too) If you heard a clunk and cant turn motor over with pullstart,check belt first for clutch lockup from a shredded belt, then check pullstart internals,if belt is not the problem. Could be a bendix binding on flywheel?? Good luck

Old 06-14-2009, 05:41 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was able to get the engine free'd? Had to take off the transmission case and use a Pry-Bar to release it. Hard to start at 1st, with the clunking sound, then it just went away and ran fine? When I pulled the spark-plug, it was mud/water at the bottom of it, so seems I hit the mud hole a bit too hard and got water/mug through the carb, not good!

I cleaned it all up and it *seems* to be running just fine now? for a 1996, the thing is a beast!