Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1993 Sportsman 400 help

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 09:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1993 Sportsman 400 help

ok so this weekend I purchased my first ATV. as I mentioned it's a 1993 Sportsman 400 4x4. I have doing the race car scene, the mud truck scene, crotch rocket/bobber thing as well. I'm bored and was looking for a new hobby. I decided on a 4x4 ATV. Well I was going to buy one that runs but I came across a deal I couldn't walk by. The guy practically gave it to me. Some cut wires I need to fix on the front by the handle bars and it's got the body and racks pulled off of it when I picked it up this weekend. The guy said with the wires fixed it'll run but smokes. I doubt that cus I see fuel lines hanging off both sides and can tell it's at least missing the fuel switch that goes between tanks. Everything else pretty much looks like it's there. I have a switch for an electric start but I don't see how it was ran or where it hooks up to so I question if it was really meant for this ATV seeing how I see the pull start set up on the side of the block.

So my plans is to tear down and rebuild engine and whole things from the ground up. My enduro buddy says I should put a big bore kit on it if I can find one while I'm at it. I've been trying to look up parts and performance options. I mean if I'm going to rebuild it I might as well do a lil to give it some life while I'm at it right? Some would say this is too much of a project but others would want to tackle it. I was a lil worried before we accessed it but my friend assures me that once the body is all off it's nothing but an engine and tranny with fuel lines and wires sitting on a frame. nothing really do it. What does everyone think?

Old 07-06-2009, 09:31 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ChevyCowboy83
ok so this weekend I purchased my first ATV. as I mentioned it's a 1993 Sportsman 400 4x4. I have doing the race car scene, the mud truck scene, crotch rocket/bobber thing as well. I'm bored and was looking for a new hobby. I decided on a 4x4 ATV. Well I was going to buy one that runs but I came across a deal I couldn't walk by. The guy practically gave it to me. Some cut wires I need to fix on the front by the handle bars and it's got the body and racks pulled off of it when I picked it up this weekend. The guy said with the wires fixed it'll run but smokes. I doubt that cus I see fuel lines hanging off both sides and can tell it's at least missing the fuel switch that goes between tanks. Everything else pretty much looks like it's there. I have a switch for an electric start but I don't see how it was ran or where it hooks up to so I question if it was really meant for this ATV seeing how I see the pull start set up on the side of the block.

So my plans is to tear down and rebuild engine and whole things from the ground up. My enduro buddy says I should put a big bore kit on it if I can find one while I'm at it. I've been trying to look up parts and performance options. I mean if I'm going to rebuild it I might as well do a lil to give it some life while I'm at it right? Some would say this is too much of a project but others would want to tackle it. I was a lil worried before we accessed it but my friend assures me that once the body is all off it's nothing but an engine and tranny with fuel lines and wires sitting on a frame. nothing really do it. What does everyone think?
Look at an on line parts diagram before you decide to rebuild the 400 2-stroke! I've been rebuilding polaris engines for 21 years and its my least favorite,especially to quote prices untill completely torn apart! TOO many parts! DONT mean to discourage you,but if you have the time and willing to buy,borrow,steal some of the special tools needed,plus endless patience,then go for it! JMOO (just my old opinion) I'd rather rebuild two(2) 500 fourstrokes than to do one 350 or 400 2-stroke! Have had several customers almost give up on home rebuilds and swore NEVER to try again! BUt I'm just an OPT and wore out!

Old 07-06-2009, 10:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

is it possible to swap a different motor onto it if it is that difficult to rebuild? I had a newly opened ATV shop quote me 500 labor plus parts supplied by me to completely rebuild the whole ATV for me. Good deal? I'm a lil nervous dealing with a shop cus I'm such a noob.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:22 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ChevyCowboy83
is it possible to swap a different motor onto it if it is that difficult to rebuild? I had a newly opened ATV shop quote me 500 labor plus parts supplied by me to completely rebuild the whole ATV for me. Good deal? I'm a lil nervous dealing with a shop cus I'm such a noob.
If they will completely rebuild it,including pressing on a new rod and balancing,plus bore job, NOT a bad price,BUT parts can get expensive,if counter balancer shaft bad,oil pump corroded,etc! Plus if a 400 will be at least a 94 model!

Old 07-06-2009, 11:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
If they will completely rebuild it,including pressing on a new rod and balancing,plus bore job, NOT a bad price,BUT parts can get expensive,if counter balancer shaft bad,oil pump corroded,etc! Plus if a 400 will be at least a 94 model!
w938039 is what I have for a model number. I looked it up last night and all I could find said it was a '93.

I am grateful for the info. I really don't know jack about these things and I'm trying to learn real fast as much as I can about what I got.