Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

HELP!!! Polaris Sportsman 800 taking off when shifting into gear..

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 10:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did it work before at what altitude could be wrong clutch spring

Old 08-25-2009, 10:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

if it is high alt you need high alt spring for clutch

Old 09-04-2009, 12:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

okay i replaced the front motor mount. Once I finally took it off you can tell it was busted. Now my only problem is its taking off in low and i cant shift it out of low. I can slam it into high from nutrel but when im in low it wont shift. The belt doesnt squeal anymore so im getting some where. Now what can I do?

Old 09-04-2009, 12:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

no im not at high altitude i live 15 miles from galveston island

Old 09-04-2009, 04:17 PM
UTU
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still sounds like clutch alignment problems or the PTFE washers are shot or gone. With the clutch cover off look at the belt on the primary it should not be favoring either side of the primary clutch sheaves. With the belt off try and turn the one way bearing on the primary should be fairly easy to turn ONE way.. The PTFE washers are on both sides of the one way if they are bad/gone the primary will be turning the driven/secondary clutch which= hard to shift,no shift. Try starting the quad with the clutch cover off the secondary/driven clutch should be turning VERY slowly or not at all. Look at the belt when idling should not be favoring either side of the primary clutch sheaves. You can eyeball the alignment but the alignment tool would be better. If all these problems started after you blew the belt I would bet on the PTFE washers.....Then again you might call highlifter where you got the kit see if they have any answers. Did you blow the belt after you put the kit in ? how soon? I have put HeelClicker kits in all my quads and alot of friends quads easy to set up and they have ADJUSTABLE WEIGHTS!!!!!!

Old 09-05-2009, 05:42 AM
Range Rover

I had this very same problem when I changed my belt just as a P/M reason. All was good but when I did the change my unit would creep and was hard to shift. With the bike off look to see if the belt is riding on top of the one way slotted pulley. the belt should be sitting down in the slots of the one way pulley. This was the case with my sportsman, and I had the primary clutch rebuilt by a friend with all new washers and such put it back together all was good. Just an FYI the washers were all talking about are brass and very thin. Hard to see just looking into the clutch. Should have very little side to side play on this pulley

Old 09-05-2009, 06:33 AM
Pro Rider
My home made pliers did get the job too.

Originally Posted by UTU
Still sounds like clutch alignment problems or the PTFE washers are shot or gone. With the clutch cover off look at the belt on the primary it should not be favoring either side of the primary clutch sheaves. With the belt off try and turn the one way bearing on the primary should be fairly easy to turn ONE way.. The PTFE washers are on both sides of the one way if they are bad/gone the primary will be turning the driven/secondary clutch which= hard to shift,no shift. Try starting the quad with the clutch cover off the secondary/driven clutch should be turning VERY slowly or not at all. Look at the belt when idling should not be favoring either side of the primary clutch sheaves. You can eyeball the alignment but the alignment tool would be better. If all these problems started after you blew the belt I would bet on the PTFE washers.....Then again you might call highlifter where you got the kit see if they have any answers. Did you blow the belt after you put the kit in ? how soon? I have put HeelClicker kits in all my quads and alot of friends quads easy to set up and they have ADJUSTABLE WEIGHTS!!!!!!
READ THIS THREAD, UTU is on the right path here for you, the crush washers on the primary is shot, you need to rebuild the primary clutch, Poo gets like $8 per Crush washer under one way bearing, when I rebuild clutches and depending on clutch kit, 2 crush washers are installed for guys doing heavy mudding on a weekend on the non moveable sheave side of bearing.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

If your fourwheeler is hard to shift and it creeps forward a bit while in gear check to see how high the belt is sitting above the sheaves on the secondary (driven) clutch - on my 2005 800 sportsman mine was doing this the belt was sitting approx 1/4 inch above, should only be 1/8 inch. I took the secondary clutch apart and installed a thick shim from a team secondary clutch and now it shifts perfect and doesnt try to get away while idling in gear