Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

07 Sportsman 800 EFI running choppy

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 10:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have an 2004 700 which does the same thing. replaced the twin coil pack, plug wires, and plugs. still having the same issues

Old 10-16-2010, 10:09 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2005

I have a 2005 Sportsman EFI 800 and it is doing the same thing. At times it runs normal then bogs, and has no power. Sometimes it kick in again, other wise I have to turn it off and wait about 2 mins (normally it will run ok again for 1-2 mins). On a 10-15 min run I will have to stop about 6-8 times.

I have put in new gas, and checked the gas lines. The machine was not wet. I will be checking other items mentioned including cap, wires and plugs. If anyone found a solution I would love to know.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

tap the computer box. i replaced almost everything and gave up to take it to the shop. they would ride it, hit a bump and then it would bog down. they would tap the box and it would run fine until another bump. they had to replace the computer box

Old 10-17-2010, 08:06 AM
UTU
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 22 code the other day. I thought not again. I checked all harness,etc. Turned out the air intake boot had slipped off the throttle body. Tried putting back on tighten the clamp boot kept slipping off. Ended up cleaning the throttle body neck and inside of air intake boot. Reinstalled ,cleared the code, runs like the PoPo should no codes. Also had a PoPo that threw a code 22 ended up being the crankshaft position sensor.

Old 06-12-2016, 12:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Not sure if this forum is still active, but worth a try! I just purchased a 2007 Sportsman 800 EFI, and up to this point the thing seemed to run great with no issues. The other day I pulled it out, parked forward on 30degree slope and sprayed off with water hose. Sprayed all the storage compartments and under the seat. Let the bike sit for about an hour and as soon as I fired it up, started having the same issues as mentioned above! Low idle(7-900), bogs down(almost like air being cut off) when giving it throttle. When trying to ride, surges of power and bogs down. Changed oil(no water or anything from bath) and refilled gas with 8oz Seafoam. Also took throttle body off and cleaned good. Tbap a sensor was already unplugged when I purchased and ran fine but does have some bare wires showing, assuming not this since was working fine previous with it not connected. Outside temperature here has been 80-90F when problem started. Any help is appreciated it!

Old 06-12-2016, 01:03 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

First off pull connections that could have gotten water in them,blow them out and use dielectric grease.Same for the plug caps. As far as having the t-bap disconnected,really don't see how it could have run right to begin with as it sends temperature and barometric air pressure signals to the ecu which determines how much fuel pulse is sent to the injectors. You're right on the thin wiring fraying and melting as this was a common problem. Read the "sticky" post above the expert section on 700/800 efi problems. 85% of the time as the manual states wiring problems are the main cause for efi problems,not the sensors themselves. Better harness connector and wiring repair kits are offered than the same thin kits that Polaris offers. This I'd really look into as the tbap sensor needs to be able to function properly. Plus the speedo should have been showing codes such as 41,45 or 46.This is the site for repair kits.Only The Best This is the one you need.

Attached Thumbnails 07 Sportsman 800 EFI running choppy-connector.jpg  
Old 06-12-2016, 03:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry, codes being shown are 22,25,45. The 22 wasn't being shown until I cleaned throttle body and removed sensor from side. Guessing damn thing will need reset or re adjusted as it probably screwed it up? Pretty new to the ATV world and never messed with much wiring and all these sensors.

Old 06-12-2016, 04:11 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmxo42000
Sorry, codes being shown are 22,25,45. The 22 wasn't being shown until I cleaned throttle body and removed sensor from side. Guessing damn thing will need reset or re adjusted as it probably screwed it up? Pretty new to the ATV world and never messed with much wiring and all these sensors.
IF you removed the TPS sensor from the throttle body,then it will have to be reset to a base vdc and then set at a final reading,that is if you haven't damaged it!! Code 25? Never saw one come up,doesn't have it listed,plus can be a bogus code that are thrown sometimes. Code 45 is definitely T-BAP related and the harness kit should take care of that. Wouldn't hurt to check the tps wiring and connector also as it has the same thin wiring as the tbap. Harness kits are available for them at OTB also. Since the machine is new to you,best to have a good manual. The tps takes special equipment to calibrate it right and they are listed in the service manual.Here's a cheap 5 buck manual.2007 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI Service Manual PDF Download