Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

atv insurance

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by caperinmuskoka
I checked under my home ins. for both my sleds and ATV's......NOT COVERED!!
The only stuff that is covered in my garage under the home Ins. is anything that is used only on the Property.
So if my garage burns to the ground the sleds and Atv's need a separte policy.
I pay around 290.00 each full coverage Canadian Funds remember,

The agent also told me the ATV's are not covered if they fall of the trailer being towed,
...Caper.......
You are correct. In general if it is motorized and not specifically used to maintain your property(like a lawn tractor) it is usually NOT covered on your home insurance. Also, if there is coverage thru your home insurance there are usually stipulations denying coverage if off the premises. Plus why risk a homeowners claim when you could have it on an ATV policy which generally does not place a surcharge for a claim.....(yes, I sell insurance for a living)LOL

Old 10-16-2009, 01:49 PM
Trailblazer

Big600Twin
You pretty much said the same thing I did in an earlier post.
I will add that I think this topic really comes down to the specifics & needs of each atv rider, there state/country, and use, and the rate that their being quoted. Lets face it $300 on the high end is a bit steep for those who only ride occasionally on state land or only ride when they get time.

For me I ride on private land on a regular basis and I also use my XP around my property for yard work, pulling my wagon for tree limbs and yard roller and I have ck'd under my home policy, it is covered if there is a issue such as it being stolen or fire that arises on my land only. If I roll the bike or something else terrible happens while on private land well then I accept that responsibility. That is just part of life when riding!
My opinion is if you want that extra piece of mind then yeah go buy insurance but I recall riding for the past 20 years and have never needed it so I'm going to save my money instead of giving it to Company X

Old 10-16-2009, 02:11 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

09 550XP & 02 325 Magnum $140 a year fullcoverage $250 deductable My insurance guy told me, having a motor cycle license really helped drop the price. Do they think just because a guy rides a harley that he'll be a safer driver on a quad. (I am), but I know others that are just plain stupid when they hop on their quads. Some of you guys might want to ask if you get a rate break for having M.C. endorsment.

Old 10-17-2009, 03:57 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anybody know if a motorcycle license is needed to ride a Can-Am spider(3-wheeler) ?
I just was wondering due to the fact they don't fit the title of a motorcycle(2-wheels)......Caper.........

Old 10-18-2009, 06:52 AM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, you do need a motorcycle endorsement to drive that Spider on public roads.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:10 AM
Range Rover

I do have full coverage on my X2 for 142.00 a year. To me is having liability insurance is the most important factor. I’m not one to let others ride my ATV but being a 2 passenger I frequently have others riding with me and if something were to go wrong I care not to be sued out of my boots. Not to say they would but it’s a funny world we live in.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:41 PM
Pro Rider

Mine is through Geico and is $173 for two 08 Tourings. That's everything including liablitiy, property damage, comprehensive and collision, $500 deductable.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:59 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by switzomatic
Full coverage through progressive runs me @ $100 a year.
Me too (Progressive), but I jacked up the liability to $500K and opted for $100 deductible on both collision and comprehensive, so it was $145 a year. Progressive also throws in $3000 coverage for accessories on all ATV & Motorcycle policies. I shopped around, and among the big names Progressive beat them all--by quite a bit.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:39 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by caperinmuskoka
Does anybody know if a motorcycle license is needed to ride a Can-Am spider(3-wheeler) ?
I just was wondering due to the fact they don't fit the title of a motorcycle(2-wheels)......Caper.........

BRP is currently working here in Canada to change the law so a automotive car license would be all that one needs . In a few states in the US all they require is a car license .