Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2010 Sportsman 550X2 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 12:23 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Sportsman 550X2 Questions

I recently put some money down on a new 550X2. I test drove a Can-Am Outlander Max 800 first and found the ride to be harsh and uncomfortable. The power delivery on the Can-Am wasn't as smooth as I thought it would be either nor was the much touted engine rumble as nice as many seem to think it is. Not impressed. Then I got on a new 550X2 and was pleasantly surprised at the smoothness and ride. Much better than the Can-Am and more nimble as well. The engine sound was as good as the 800 in my opinion too.
Anyway, my questions are as follows in regard to the X2:
1. Should I get the extended warranty? (2 yr. $520, 3 yr. $640, 5 yr. $910) I've never used a warranty on any of my vehicles and take care of things very well.
2. Is the engine on this ATV (550) a Japanese build and/or design and do you think it will be as reliable as the 500?
3. Is it worth replacing the OEM Maxxis M980s tires with radials for all around trail rides or just a waste of time?

Any other ideas or hints would be helpful (accessories, must haves, etc.)
Thanks.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:02 PM
Trailblazer

I think you answered your own question on the warranty...
Don't know about the engine, but I hope it'll be as bullet proof as the 500 has been.
If it was me I'd stick with the stock Maxxis and see how they do ya. Unless you want to upgrade to the aluminum rims...

I'm curious though, why you choose the 550 X2 over the 550 Touring ESP. Unless you need the open rear bed? The Touring gives you 14" aluminum rims, ESP and a more comfy seat for the passenger for only $300 more...

I ask, because I'm looking at the 550 2-up for the wife....

Old 10-29-2009, 01:10 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

1. You never know...
2. Engine is made by the same folkes as the 500 (FUJI) and should be bulet proof.
3. I replaced my non-radials tires with ITP Terracross radials and think it was well worth it.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

1) I never would have used my warranty if I had bought one.
2) I also believe that the 550 is being built by Fuji. If so, it is probably very reliable.
3) I would wait and see how the stock tires are. I'm just going to ITP Mudlite XTRs after putting 1500 miles on the the stock 489s that it came with.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:24 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by RickB
I think you answered your own question on the warranty...
Don't know about the engine, but I hope it'll be as bullet proof as the 500 has been.
If it was me I'd stick with the stock Maxxis and see how they do ya. Unless you want to upgrade to the aluminum rims...

I'm curious though, why you choose the 550 X2 over the 550 Touring ESP. Unless you need the open rear bed? The Touring gives you 14" aluminum rims, ESP and a more comfy seat for the passenger for only $300 more...

I ask, because I'm looking at the 550 2-up for the wife....
I chose the 550X2 over the touring model for a few reasons. Firstly, I really like the seat being able to go up and back or forward for 1-up/2-up change over. The small dump bed use will be nominal but it looks like it will hold some extra bags very well. Also it's got an amazing 400lb. capacity over the rear. While the seat on the touring is slightly more plush, I will get a pillion pad for the girlfriend from a motorcycle shop if comfort is an issue. (I don't think it will be on anything shorter than a three hour ride). One very interesting thing about the X2 vs. the touring model was that when my girlfriend sat on a touring one with me we felt like we had enough room to be comfortable....but when we sat on an X2, believe it or not, we had even MORE space between us. I figure on a hot day something like that will matter. You mentioned the wheels....well, I'm honestly not a big fan of fancy wheels on an ATV. For me they just call for more care and worry about scratches etc. I'm not into the 'cool' factor so much either (I'm over 40). The colors of the touring models did not impress me either....too bright. I'm not a big fan of red or blue utility ATV's and loved the plain olive green of the X2. Lastly....the X2 has the really neat 'turf' mode. I will use this quad to putter around my property at times and I don't like tearing my lawns up....this feature allows me to make sharper turns AND not destroy my yard.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:31 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
1) I never would have used my warranty if I had bought one.
2) I also believe that the 550 is being built by Fuji. If so, it is probably very reliable.
3) I would wait and see how the stock tires are. I'm just going to ITP Mudlite XTRs after putting 1500 miles on the the stock 489s that it came with.
Yeah, I'm heavily leaning toward forgetting any extra warranty. I just wondered how Polaris owners felt about them being that I've never owned one.
Thanks for the engine info. It's extremely important to me that this thing runs well for many years. If it's as good as the 500 then I have nothing to worry about.
The stock tires certainly APPEAR like they will work fine in all conditions....but who knows. I'm not a mudder or rock climber anyway but I hear SO much about radials now that I'm interested. I would keep the stock 14" rims and stay with stock tire size....so only a few radials right now even match my sizes yet. I'll most likely wait and see how the Maxxis perform first....but knowing me someday I'll get some radials.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:40 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by rancherAT
I chose the 550X2 over the touring model for a few reasons. Firstly, I really like the seat being able to go up and back or forward for 1-up/2-up change over. The small dump bed use will be nominal but it looks like it will hold some extra bags very well. Also it's got an amazing 400lb. capacity over the rear. While the seat on the touring is slightly more plush, I will get a pillion pad for the girlfriend from a motorcycle shop if comfort is an issue. (I don't think it will be on anything shorter than a three hour ride). One very interesting thing about the X2 vs. the touring model was that when my girlfriend sat on a touring one with me we felt like we had enough room to be comfortable....but when we sat on an X2, believe it or not, we had even MORE space between us. I figure on a hot day something like that will matter. You mentioned the wheels....well, I'm honestly not a big fan of fancy wheels on an ATV. For me they just call for more care and worry about scratches etc. I'm not into the 'cool' factor so much either (I'm over 40). The colors of the touring models did not impress me either....too bright. I'm not a big fan of red or blue utility ATV's and loved the plain olive green of the X2. Lastly....the X2 has the really neat 'turf' mode. I will use this quad to putter around my property at times and I don't like tearing my lawns up....this feature allows me to make sharper turns AND not destroy my yard.
Thanks for the reply. That's interesting. I've just started looking at the 2-ups and I appreciate you telling me your findings.

Good luck, I know you'll love your new machine!

Trending Topics

Old 10-29-2009, 02:53 PM
Trailblazer

You are very welcome Rick!