Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

SP500 will not start in gear at times

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SP500 will not start in gear at times

Perhaps someone could shed some light on my issue.On my 99 SP500 w/150 hours,today I tried to start it as I normally do in high and it crept forward and would not turn over almost like the clutch was engaged but if I hit the starter again in high gear it fires up and idles fine "not to high" but it is intermittent,neutral is fine and it idles fine with no unusual creeping.I pulled the clutch cover,the drive clutch looks good,I checked the one way bearing and it seemed to operate fine,shim still in place,belt is in line,the belt looks good but I don't have another to compare it to but it has never slipped or been in water.The drive clutch and driven is dusty,I figured I would blow all the dust off and replace the belt tomorrow and see if that helps.Any ideas

Old 12-05-2009, 05:44 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if the belt was extremly tight causing the bike to creep forward it would be like starting a standard car in gear which is pretty hard. did you check the engine mounts as well to make they were good and the belt alignment is fine? there should be a little (not alot) of belt deflection to make sure that isn't the issue. for the most part you said you have checked for the main causes of creeping forward.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:07 AM
Pro Rider

The belt looks like it's riding center ,is it possible the belt is worn too much on the sides causing it to ride deeper in the driven clutch? I will check the mounts this morning

Old 12-05-2009, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider

Well,I replaced the belt today and the issue still persist???? Seems like when I stop and cut it off in "H" I feel a lunge,I hit the start button and it's like the belt is engaged,kinda like what you said, starting a manual car in gear without pressing the clutch.I'm beginning to focus on the one way bearing locking up.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:46 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

it sounds like the bike is in the creeping mode that read about. the belt should be setting about 1/8" above the secondary clutch when bike is at rest. did you check the engine mounts real good to make sure they are not cracked and seprating as sometimes they are hard to see. the only things that will make the clutch engage as mentioned are engine out of alignment, belt shrunk,one way bushing in the ebs in stopped working, or the fiber washers beside the bearing are worn out.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:30 AM
Pro Rider

I guess it's not like the newer bikes as ours won't start in high unless the brake is on .

Old 12-06-2009, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider

The motor mounts look good after a second inspection.With the clutch cover off I do notice when I stop the engine it kicks back clockwise a tad which I think my 02 does the same thing,when it is shut off in gear I can feel a light lunge and that is usually when the start issue happens.In neutral with it a idle the belt creeps slightly.The belt is riding center on the one way.Perhaps the engine is out of line causing the belt to be tighter

Old 12-07-2009, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider

stendori, It's not the clutch.I went to the shop with a open mind this morning and pulled the clutch drive belt,sure enough it still does it but it is the same, intermittent,it will start up fine switch it off and try it again,it's like it's hydrolocked for a split second,it starts fine 15 of say 20 trys.The starter is somewhat noisey disengaging with alot of clicking,I checked all the connections for rust or corrosion from the battery to the starter,all ok.I did notice when it would not turn over by the starter I tried the pull start and it took a good bit of effort to pull it.Now I'm down to the starter or it's in the valves/cam which I will try to check later today or tomorrow

Old 12-07-2009, 03:32 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

so your thinking the starter is just dragging or not getting good connection? winder if the auto decompression is having an issue where it's not kicking in which make the starter work extremly hard to start the bike?? maybe somene can give some further advice onit for us as well. usually the pull starter is fairly tough to pull, but w/ 1 good strong pull it usually fires right up.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:30 PM
Pro Rider

All connections look good,I've messed with it on and off all day,If the starter is not bad, it will be after I finish trying to diagnose it.I cannot figure out why it will start 10 times in a row with no issue then it will not turn over but if I release the starter button and try it again it fires up,almost like there is a position on the cam it does not like.I thought about the decompression valve? I'll check the valves and cam soon.It's getting the best of me for sure!!!

Quick Reply: SP500 will not start in gear at times