Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Help 01 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010 | 09:37 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Help 01 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO

Hi this past summer I purchased a 01 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO 4x4. It sat in the garage for about a month now not being run during the winter months and when I go to give it some throttle it jumps. By jumps i mean the back wheels have a jerky spin to them when it seems like the trans engages violently instead of the normal smooth acceleration. Instead of slowly starting to move it will spin the tires about 1/4 way round then gain speed normally. (kinda like a stall torque converter)

I am wodnering if I developed some sort of problem with my drive clutch? Any ideas would be appreciated as I am new to Polaris machines and dont know all that much about them.

Thanks
Jameson

Help 01 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO-pol1.jpg

Help 01 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO-pol2.jpg

Last edited by WIJameson; 01-30-2010 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Added images
Old 01-31-2010 | 02:37 AM
Pro Rider

I do`nt know anything about the clutches but how did the machine operate before You parked it???Just wondering if it has some kind of a performance clutch in it.

Old 01-31-2010 | 06:25 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

welcome to the forum. if the engine is running smoothly and not jerky w/ the throttle then it's in the clutches. prehaps it has a stiffer primary spring in the primary or a complete clutch kit. it also may be worn out and having grooved weights or bushings from worn out flat spots which could cause what your refering too. best thing is to take off clutch cover and maybe pull primary off to take a peak on whats going on and get back to us. how many miles on the bike?

Old 01-31-2010 | 11:21 AM
Pro Rider

nice looking machine. I like the extra protection you made for the radiator and winch setup

Old 01-31-2010 | 11:33 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the comments. I didn't expect this much of a response.

Yes the engine is running smoothly. There are 4200 miles on the machine. I guess it could have been a preexisting condition because I never had a polaris before and I really just started noticing it when I was off the machine watching the back wheels. (I was excited to get our families first 4 wheeler and just wanted to ride and see if I could get it stuck I for some odd reason had a deep craving to HAVE to use the winch) I wont be able to get to the clutches today but will take a look on Monday. Is there anything in particular I could look for? How do I tell if it is a special primary clutch kit or what should I look for in signs of wear?? I did have it apart once before to check my belt which looked almost brand new and didnt notice anything on the clutch itself that looked out of place like no flat spots or areas that looked worn, and I looked it over pretty well because I was curious. Then again I didnt know what I was looking for either.

One other thing I wanted to mention as a side sort of question in case anyone has had it happen is that my speedometer needle goes all wacky up and down erratically etc. I was browsing the forums here and people were talking about cleaning the speed sensor on the inside of the front tire? We been goin through that dark black stinky mud... so im hopin that is the case that it fouled up that sensor?

Once again thanks for all the insight, you have a great forum and users here.

Last edited by WIJameson; 01-31-2010 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 01-31-2010 | 01:17 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

first thing is what rpm does the clutch engage at? really you wouldn't know if it had a clutch kit in it as it would looks the same as stock except for differnt color springs and differnt weight numbers. the weight bolts might have a worn spot in them or a worn spot in the weight hole causing hang up when the clutch is trying to engage. also where is the belt riding in the secondary clutch(transmission clutch) when it is sitting at idle? the belt should be just a little above the secondary clutch(about 1/8") to be in the correct location. try (while in netrual)watching the clutch action w/ the cover off to see how smoothly the cucth engages and iof the belt goes thru the whole range of motion in both clutches.

Old 04-24-2011 | 03:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

My 02 sportsman 500 HO speedo does not work either. Is there something to chk re the sensor on the right fr wheel?