Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Belt Squealing

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2001, 09:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently installed a new belt on my atv and the belt immediately began to squeal at low rpm. When I looked at the new belt, I noticed that the belt is riding slightly above the secondary clutch sheaves. This has increased the tension on the belt, which is causing the belt to squeal on the shaft of the primary clutch. My question is this, how do I adjust the secondary clutch to either open up the clutch sheaves or reduce the tension that is on the belt by decreasing the distance between the clutches? I double checked the belt that I installed and it is the correct drive belt number. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 02-26-2001, 09:19 PM
Range Rover

try turning the belt round I changedthe belt on mine and it squeeled untill Iturned it round.
hope this helps.
matt
2000 500 scrambler

Old 02-28-2001, 11:11 AM
Pro Rider

To open up the sheaves of the rear pulley is fairly simple. Pop off the pulley. Remove the snap ring off the inside (have a buddy help, it is under spring tension and will want to twist and push the helix out). Note where the spring goes (there are 2 holes in the helix and 3 in the pulley, try to get them back where they were).
Now seperate the 2 pulley halves. The shims go right between the pulley halves. They are fairly cheap through Polaris. Shim it so the belt sits flush with the top of the pulley.
Now is a good time to check rear pulley buttons. Replace if necessary.
When you put the pulley back together, note that there is one 'fat' spline on the helix which will match the 'fat' spline on the pulley. Have your buddy come back to twist the pulley halves against each other so you can re-install the helix & snap ring. For his/her help, take him/her for a ride when you get it all together.

The proper way to mount the belt is so you can read the part # while standing beside your machine, facing it.

Old 02-28-2001, 11:29 AM
Range Rover

The proper way to mount the belt is so you can read the part # while standing beside your machine, facing it.

I guess it would be hard to read it if you weren't facing it, huh? Sorry, couldnt resist. All in fun!

Old 02-28-2001, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider

Ah, yes. One in every crowd.
Mount the belt so it the number is right side up from the side of the machine, not astraddle it. If you want to face the other way & use a mirror, more power to you.

No offense taken or implied.

Old 02-28-2001, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider

The belt is too tight as indicated. The driven clutch must be adjusted accordingly.

My 1995 Polaris snowmobile has a ring on the outside of the driven clutch that is held in place by 3 screws. Loosen the screws and rotate the plate, that has 3 ramps built in, and the clutch spacing is adjusted. Simple and quick belt adjustment. No need fto remove the clutch, get out the snap ring pliers, run to the dealer for shims, or buy beer for your buddy's help.

The question is: why has Polaris not extended this design to the ATV's?

Just a thought.

DJ

Old 02-28-2001, 08:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the great information! At least I now know how to take care of this problem and get back to riding.