Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Do the engineers try these things out...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 02:41 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats the only reason I sold my 800 and purchased a XP. I could not get used to the noises.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:14 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First, I don't blame you. However, did you not take any of these machines for a ride, or read about them? The clunks, clicks, vibrations, and other noises are typical of PoPo's. Some of those noises are probably not good things, some may be a lack of quality control, and some are probably nothing to worry about. Still, like me, you don't like them... and you should have considered that in your purchase.

I did read up on them, I read tons of magazine articles, read through probably the last 2 months worth of posts in the polaris section and watched tons of videos on you-tube about how they ride against other machines.

But nothing I read mentioned anything about this drive train issue. Most people would comment on how nice the ride was comparing popo to cadillac. Nothing that jumped out- for the most part just that they are heavy machines and can be tricky climbing hills, undesirable single lever braking and clunky shifting.
I really like the sp800, just not this poor drivetrain design.

When I bought it- I did drive it around the guys yard for quite some time, but there were no strange sounds. He lived in a busy city so, wasn't like I had any trail access or a large area to try it out.

I may wait a year and try to finance an 850 xp- I'll give them another year to work out the kinks-

Old 03-06-2010, 03:37 PM
DCT
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear ya.... I didn't read around enough and didn't listen to the "right" people when I bought my PoPo... lesson learned.

Yep, the 850 seems to be a nice machine for some folks, but there still are some things that need to be addressed (like the front suspension). The problem is, the only thing that Polaris did on the 2010's was cheapen them up a little... that's not a good sign for the future.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider

I guess we should all go out and buy Suzuki...

John

Old 03-06-2010, 05:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Originally Posted by JCDEYO25

John
I don't think that was DCT's point at all, he is just pointing out the fact of a this paticular machine and in this case it is a XP. All machines have faults and I do mean all such as the King Quad has twitchy steering at high speeds, the Yamaha Grizz has a seat that is to short for fast sport riding ALL Japanese bike come from the factory with crap tires, Polaris machines are heavy and drink fuel honorably. The point to this is nothing is perfect we as consumers need to find a machine that works best for us as a individual. All machines are expense and for the amount you pay for a bike these days it darn well better hold up to some abuse and have a company that stands behind it!

Old 03-06-2010, 06:12 PM
Pro Rider

Well we can argue all day about the best machine...It's like debating Ford, Chevy, and Dodge against each other...My point is that I agree all machines have faults it just seems that lately there seems to be an awful lot of bashing of Polaris..Call it what you want...I own a Ford pickup but you won't see me on Chevy or Dodge forums telling them all the problems they have....Just not right...Not trying to be confrontational...It is what it is...

John

Old 03-06-2010, 06:31 PM
DCT
Banned

Originally Posted by JCDEYO25
John
Never said that... never mentioned Suzuki in this thread. As a matter of fact, I said that the 850 is a good machine for some folks.

Not trying to be confrontational... but some folks need to read more... and look at Avatar's less.

FYI, I was a moderator on a couple of F150 sites a few years back. A lot of guys complained when they had issues (or complaints)... and rightfully so, as the guy did that started this thread. A lot of guys loved their machines and wouldn't buy anything else. Some guys bought other machines and stayed on the forums, and had a blast busting the other guys... and getting busted.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by beergut
before they market them???

I am liking my sportsman 800 more & more everyday- but my biggest complaint with the polaris is the drivetrain chatter & noise- I hate it! It makes me feel like I'm always about to break something. How can the polaris engineers think these noisy tranny's & diff's are something people would consider a quality component in an atv? Are they deaf? Are they paying attention to detail? Forget about bright headlights & soft seats- how about a solid sounding drivetrain!

While riding, I have to keep reminding myself "this is a normal noise"... This is normal?

ahhh- sorry, just venting
Beer,

Have you pumped them with grease lately? Might be a sign that the U-joints are bone dry.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:41 PM
Trailblazer

We had an old Yamaha Moto 4 that hated to start on the warmest days.

Our Warriors have both had starter relays fail, and one of them had the starter rebuilt twice. One also refuses to shift into third gear at times, and on the other, it difficult to get in and out of reverse. And the muffler has melted a hole in the airbox on one because the cheap heat-reflective tape-like stuff has worn off.

On the other hand, our neighbors swear by their Yamaha snowmobiles -- for joy of riding and reliability. And they've been through most of them -- Polaris, Kawasaki, Arctic Cat, Ski Doo -- and they love Yamaha, absolutely hate Polaris.

We have a 2001 Kawasaki Lakota Sport that has been almost flawless and has an extremely smooth-running, reliable engine.

On the other hand, we have a Kawasaki generator that, currently, refuses to start and is very difficult to service.

So, I guess it really depends on the product category as well.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by DODGE57HEMI
I found it is hard to beat what most Japanese bikes bring to the table in quality and reliability!
Jap stuff is generally of very high quality. They've taken the German quality model and bumped it up in sheer volume. I just bought an Onkyo receiver for our home theater. It is an amazing unit for under 1K....huge wattage and hdmi inputs that can't be matched. Hard to name a Japanese product that's poorly engineered / built. -To think it was a wasteland 60 years ago. They're a smart bunch.

Quick Reply: Do the engineers try these things out...