Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Do the engineers try these things out...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 06:14 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Do the engineers try these things out...

before they market them???

I am liking my sportsman 800 more & more everyday- but my biggest complaint with the polaris is the drivetrain chatter & noise- I hate it! It makes me feel like I'm always about to break something. How can the polaris engineers think these noisy tranny's & diff's are something people would consider a quality component in an atv? Are they deaf? Are they paying attention to detail? Forget about bright headlights & soft seats- how about a solid sounding drivetrain!

While riding, I have to keep reminding myself "this is a normal noise"... This is normal?

ahhh- sorry, just venting

Old 03-05-2010, 06:23 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it can be annoying but its completely normal... its just backlash. though i dont know why they had to design it with so much backlash

Old 03-05-2010, 07:02 PM
DCT
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by beergut

I am liking my sportsman 800 more & more everyday- but my biggest complaint with the polaris is the drivetrain chatter & noise- I hate it! It makes me feel like I'm always about to break something. How can the polaris engineers think these noisy tranny's & diff's are something people would consider a quality component in an atv? Are they deaf? Are they paying attention to detail? Forget about bright headlights & soft seats- how about a solid sounding drivetrain!

While riding, I have to keep reminding myself "this is a normal noise"... This is normal?

I disagree on one point... the headlights are not that bright! LOL

Old 03-05-2010, 07:11 PM
Pro Rider

I often wonder the same thing sometimes as in qaulity control. I was tinkering with my 08 800 one day and noticed with the seat off, look at your side plastics that run along the top of the frame rail on the (exhaust side) at least on mine where the exhaust shield sits behind the plastic, there are holes pre-punched that except the fasteners to mount the side plastic securely on the frame rail as there are holes punched in the rail in the exact same spots well mine is just floating in the wind due to the fact that the heat shield and everything else behind there is to much so guess what you get no fasteners there.... Next one please!!!! my gripe is you pay big dollar for these machines you would think they would take more time in the qaulity control dept before the release of the machine.......sorry so long had to explain in detail are anyone elses this way???

Old 03-05-2010, 07:19 PM
Range Rover

my dad owns a 05 polaris sportsman 400 4x4 and the one thing i CANNOT stand about it is that you have to rev to 2500-3000 rpm to get moving and everytime you need extra low end you have to shift it into low or you will burn the belt. i belive everyone should go to the wet clutch CVT type system that yamaha uses. to end on a positive note the polaris rides like a cadilac!

Old 03-05-2010, 08:08 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

I know all atv's have their issues, and I understand some issues don't surface until the atv is ridden for a while, like the weak front springs or an electrical issue- But these issues with the drivetrain & plastics are evident at mile 1, and are noisy. I just can't believe someone in the polaris R&D department brought this out to a private track, rode it, then figured these issues were ok to slap an "ok" sticker on! They must've tested & compared their atv's with a competitors atv- how can these blatant quality issues be ignored so easily?

It really makes me wonder what they think of the people who buy these products... it just pisses me off!

I know you guys hate to hear this whining- this was my night to vent, got home from work and took the sp out for a quick romp- the drivetrain issue just set me off- sunday I'll post this weekends riding pics!

Old 03-05-2010, 08:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

This was one of the main reasons (and multiple brake master cylinder issues) I dumped my 04 600 Twin as after owning my old 88 Honda 250 (Sold) then I got the Raptor 700R then bought the Grizz that I found it is hard to beat what most Japanese bikes bring to the table in quality and reliability!

Old 03-05-2010, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The engine / tranny noise probably comes from using straight cut gearsets. A straight cut gear is the strongest type gear you can make. Helical gears are quieter, but not as strong.

An example of both would be older rear drive cars and trucks. The rear differential ring and pinion is a helical gearset, the axles are straight cut for max torque transfer.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:43 PM
DCT
Banned

I know all atv's have their issues, and I understand some issues don't surface until the atv is ridden for a while, like the weak front springs or an electrical issue- But these issues with the drivetrain & plastics are evident at mile 1, and are noisy. I just can't believe someone in the polaris R&D department brought this out to a private track, rode it, then figured these issues were ok to slap an "ok" sticker on! They must've tested & compared their atv's with a competitors atv- how can these blatant quality issues be ignored so easily?

It really makes me wonder what they think of the people who buy these products... it just pisses me off!

I know you guys hate to hear this whining- this was my night to vent, got home from work and took the sp out for a quick romp- the drivetrain issue just set me off- sunday I'll post this weekends riding pics!
beergut,

First, I don't blame you. However, did you not take any of these machines for a ride, or read about them? The clunks, clicks, vibrations, and other noises are typical of PoPo's. Some of those noises are probably not good things, some may be a lack of quality control, and some are probably nothing to worry about. Still, like me, you don't like them... and you should have considered that in your purchase.

The difference being... I didn't buy another one.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:35 PM
Pro Rider

Must be a reason for the clunking. I think it was hit on the head when talking about the straight cut gears. That's why I have a loud exhaust-never hear that stuff-lol! I guess the main thing I look at is that i have owned 2 800's, one 700, and a 500 and they all were great machines. Never let me down on the trail(or anywhere else). Everyone has their favorite brand for their own reasons so enjoy the 800 while they are still around. I'm sure popo is going to drop them and go with the xp platform sometime in the near future. I think we are going to see much better products coming out(hopefully) due to the weak economy so the manufacturers are going to have to keep customers happy or lose their business. Been seeing that here with the Arctic Cats. As of 2 weeks ago the last local dealer had to shut it's doors for good.

Quick Reply: Do the engineers try these things out...