Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Alignment question

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment question

I have just replaced all tie rod ends and I have researched on here and have a string set up around the back tires and tied off to some car stands in front of the front tires, I have seen a post to tie the string around all four tires, but the rear tires stick out past the rims and will throw the settings off. The question is? Is there a better way or am I on the right track

Old 03-10-2010, 05:03 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sounds like you are on the right track to line it up. i used the rear wheels w/ a straight egde and string to do mine once. imo

Old 03-10-2010, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

String or straight edge should work. I believe the front of the tire is supposed to be out 1/8" more than the rear of the tire. If you use a straight edge against the rear tires it's pretty straightforward to measure the front and back of the front tires.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider

And plastic bags under the front wheels.

you could make A chalk mark on each of the front tires and measure from there. then roll forward or back a half of a revolution. chalk the lugs so it easier to hook your tape measure to.
after you're done test drive it ,down the street to make sure the handlebars are straight

Old 03-10-2010, 06:23 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

To make it a little easier, do this before you start.

1. Put the handlebars straight and in the position you want them to be in.

2. Secure them in place with your tie down straps attached to the hand grips and to someplace secure on your rear rack or plastic. That way nothing can move and adjust the tie rod ends to proper settings. Don't get carried away and breaking the plastic but be firm in the tightening so the bars don't move.

This will save you a lot of time in doing it a couple of times to get the bars where you want them to be.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:02 PM
Pro Rider
Talking

Sounds like a good idea, if I can get my butt over the straps after I get the wheels in place lol

Old 03-10-2010, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider
Has ridden Rockhouse and Bearwallow trails.
Default Alignment

I did mine with all the tire's off. Use the Brake rotors as your gauge instead of the tires. Get the handlebars straight, tie them off, and you can use a tape measure. Measure the back of the rotors, then measure across the front of the rotors, spin each tie ride the same, dont make all of the adjustment on one. I check mine regular this way and works great for more.

Just my 2 cents

Old 03-11-2010, 11:40 AM
"Official Site Skeptic"

Outback31, if you set the toe out on the brake rotor, the toe out at the tire side wall will be double what it should be due to the extra distance from hub center. If you set for 1/4" toe out at the rotor, it will actually be 1/2" toe out which may be too much.

'

Old 03-11-2010, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider

probly more than that with the tire diameter

Old 03-11-2010, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider

Well I know on mine that the front tires lean in at the top almost 1 inch than the bottom, fig this out with a level up and down. So as the service manual shows making the center line make and mesuring the front and rear of the tires, this won't work with a tire leaning in, the string line is more accurate. If you measure the tires front to back with the center mark measurement it will never be the same if you measuring higher or lower on the tires due to the 1 inch difference

Quick Reply: Alignment question