Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

carburater leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 04:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carburater leak

2005 Polaris 500 4x4 ATP. Use it mostly in my landscape biz. Ran fine. Got it on the trailer, shut it off, strapped it down, got to the job site, attempted to start it, no start, smelled gas, looked at the carb and it was dripping gas profusely. Turned the gas off, grabbed the extinguisher and looked the motor over. Haven't had time to dig into it but I suspect that the float may be stuck. I've never done anything with the fuel system on an atv/atp. I am assuming the carb, in principle, is similar to any other small engine carb I've dealt with. Any tips before I dig in?
I bought it used from a farm implement center for $3000.00 in October and used it for snow removal last winter. When I first got it the carb was acting up, as if it was starved for fuel. Their maintenance dept said they rebuilt the carb and it ran fine after that. Don't know if that is related but I just threw that in there as a point.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:40 AM
Pro Rider

Needle and seat in carb probably worn , the float controls this, check the airbox and engine oil for gas, they usuually get some when this happens.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:11 AM
Trailblazer

Grand: It COULD just be some dirt, etc. making the float "hang up" -- I would dis-assemble carb and check. If there is a small "ring" worn into the upper part of the needle valve (part of needle/seat ***'y.) - then definitely replace that ***'y.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:35 AM
Trailblazer

The first thing I would try to eliminate is just what tv4fish pointed out - dirt on the seat of the floats needle valve. I'll bet that is what it is.

I'll bet you weren't riding it at any high rpms right before trailering it. A very small bit of something got between the needle and seat letting fuel flow and out the overflow it goes.

Check the oil for fuel contamination and if all is OK fire it back up and try some high-engine speed riding. Doesn't have to be high-speed riding if you put it in low range. Let the engine get way up there in revs for atleast a couple 2-3 minutes and then stop. Give it probobly no more than 30 seconds after stopping to allow the float to fully fill the fuel bowl. If you continue to overflow try it again.

If that doesn't solve it I recommend you pull the drain plug, drain the carb and flush with some Hogwash via the fuel hose. When you pull the plug the carb will be empty and the float needle valve will be all the way off the seat. The velocity of the Hogwash being sprayed in there will be much. much more than the fuel flow ever was so it should wash the debris off the seat and out the drain.

Good luck. The weather is too nice to not be riding.

http://forums.atvconnection.com/gene...ml#post2920615

Old 05-02-2010, 01:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

I finally got some time. Now what is the best way to drain the carburetor? Should I use the metering jet access on the bottom of the carb? Looks like quite a job (relatively speaking) to remove the carb. Lots of stuff in the way.
Thanks.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:03 PM
Trailblazer

make sure its not the bell bottom, mine had a pin-hole in it from a cable rubbing on the outside of it.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ofie
make sure its not the bell bottom, mine had a pin-hole in it from a cable rubbing on the outside of it.

Not as bad as I thought. A friend came over who knows a bit about these machines, although he said the ATP is a bit different than the Sportsman. Got the carb upside down and am getting ready to pull the bowl.
He recommended going the whole 9 yards because he feels that all the implement dealership did was drain the bowl when it had those pre buy problems.
Thanks for the help so far. I'll keep you informed as to how it goes. I'll be sure to check the bowl out for pinholes.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, I finally got time to finish the job. Jets looked good. didn't see any foreign material. gave the carb a good heavy carb cleaner bath, reassembled, reinstalled, fired her up, no gas pouring out. Took it for a good run at OHV and I think she runs better than ever. It was developing a bit of a stumble but that is gone now too.
Thanks to all who helped including my friend Chad.