Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

08 500 sportsman smells like gas in the oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 08:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 500 sportsman smells like gas in the oil

Its been a while since I posted here did not have any trouble till now. I checked the oil today and noticed a milky or sort of a olive color oil and it smells like gas in the oil. I,m not sure if it is gas it smells like it though. I changed oil last fall with polaris stuff and ran it very little through the winter. I checked oil last week and oil looked fine, but today after running it for a short time I was going to get it ready for our spring run up north I noticed this problem.I will take it to the shop tomarrow it's still under warranty. Has anyone out there had this problem? I did take the machine to the shop twice because it was making a loud rattling noise at higher rpm's the mechanic just said they all make that sound. To me I don't think that sound is normal.It sounded like a lot of piston slap to me. And now maybe a broken ring?? I'm just guessing.The machine has only 960 miles and ridden easy just smooth trails no mudd,water,etc. The machine runs good otherwise. Idles good,no smoke,starts right up.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:58 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if it's a milky color that usually means not in the oil and not gas. it would be over filled and deluited if thiers was gas in it. imo

Old 04-30-2010, 09:43 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The 500 makes mechanical noise,but at low RPM ,and quite down at higher RPM, they have a rattly loose fitting Bendix drive behind the recoil cover and noisy water or oil pump which is normal.

My oil gets a gassy smell after awhile also but no color change. Milky oil mean water in oil usually.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:05 AM
Trailblazer

Milky color means water or coolant in the oil. And it doesn't take much or either to turn the oil milky looking. Checking the coolant and not finding it noticably low doesn't necessarily mean no coolant seepage because like I said it takes very little to make the milky color.

But my suspicion is that condendsation formed in the crankcase over the winter. Don't know where or how (temperature) the machine was stored but temperature fluctuations are what builds up condendsation.

My advice is warm it up and then change the oil and filter. Run it awhile and take a look at the oil.

As to the noisy motor and the dealer saying they all sound like that or it is normal.........it should be easy enough to find another machine like yours and see if it is "normal" too and sounds like yours.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:23 PM
Pro Rider

seems like the synthetic oils do get a green tint to them when they get a lil dirty.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Smile

Thanks for the responses. I took it to the service center today they asked me if I drive it on short jogs,I said yes I do back and forth from my tool shed just about every other day through the winter, then in the summer my wife and I are wheeling most of the time with friends on weekends. He told me the short runs are the culprit.He explained the engine has no time to get to operating temp. and excess gas will load the crankcase.Oh by the way it was gas in the oil.He said just drain refill and if the oil does not rise on the dip stick your good, just warm it up good before you take off.I did that and everything seems good now. As for the clickity clack in the engine the service guy said again they all sound like that and not to worry too much.He did explain the different components that generate these sounds, It sounded convinceing I guess I'll let it go for now.I'm going to get ready for our big ride up north. Thanks again for your help.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:50 PM
Pro Rider

When you drain the oil just crack the drain a little bit and see if some water comes out. The dry sump engine is notorious for that with short trips also.
There are two pumps, one for lubing the engine and another for pumping the oil back to the tank. That second one is a scavenging pump and it pumps air and oil. The moisture in the air naturally condenses in that relatively cool tank. That water could freeze and plug the oil hose back to engine so change the oil more often.
That fuel contamination must be from leaving your choke on longer than needed?