Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler Counter Balance Shaft Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 10:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrambler Counter Balance Shaft Help

Hey im new to the forums and this is my first post. I think its a little Newb-ish but here it is. I ride a 2000 Polaris Scrambler 400 2-Stroke and I was wondering how to change the counter balance shaft oil? I didnt see anything on here about it and i was wondering if someone could help me. The quad was given to me from a friend after he snapped the output shaft jumping it. It went through 9 years of H3LL with no rebuild on the engine or anything else. im goin through it and rebuilding it but i couldnt find anythin on the counter balance shaft or how to check/change the oil on it. Thanks for all your help in advanced.

James

Old 05-18-2010, 08:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

My 2000 explorer has a dip stick that is in front of the air box on the right side ( if your sitting on the bike). It sits pretty low, close to the engine and you have to look for it. It has a slot for a large common screwdriver to fit into. The drain plug is on the bottom side I belive by the transmission drain. Dont know if its exactly the same as your bike but it should be close.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:59 AM
Pro Rider
My home made pliers did get the job too.

Originally Posted by Scramy400
Hey im new to the forums and this is my first post. I think its a little Newb-ish but here it is. I ride a 2000 Polaris Scrambler 400 2-Stroke and I was wondering how to change the counter balance shaft oil? I didnt see anything on here about it and i was wondering if someone could help me. The quad was given to me from a friend after he snapped the output shaft jumping it. It went through 9 years of H3LL with no rebuild on the engine or anything else. im goin through it and rebuilding it but i couldnt find anythin on the counter balance shaft or how to check/change the oil on it. Thanks for all your help in advanced.

James
Pull the airbox, and stick should be straight down, can't miss a Red or or Yellow handle. Counter balancer takes roughly 5 oz of 10-30 or 10-40 oil. When you drain the balancer, and you have a milky oil content, you have a bad seal where the antifreeze is getting past it, so make sure on your rebuild that you inspect the balancer shaft for any grooves. Change the oil often, like after or every other ride, oil is cheap. There is a hole in the skid for a 10MM socket to pull the bolt.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the help guys. Im gonna check it out tomorrow and see what it looks like