Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

99 polaris xplorer 400 issues need help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 08:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 polaris xplorer 400 issues need help please

Ok so i bought this thing and think i got taken... but i need some help getting it going. It wasn't starting but had power and all that good stuff. (it would start w/ pull start) I put new starter on it, had the battery tested, and new relay. Now after i installed the new starter i went to start it, everything was connected good...hit the starter button the starter engaged and then that was it, lost all power it seemed like, high beam headlight wont even work now. I'm still geting power to the starter w/ a test light and everything that should be getting power is according to my test light but when i hit the start button nothing... not even a click out of the solenoid... any ideas? Should the starter have constant power...I mean should it have power when the key is off??

Old 05-23-2010, 05:23 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

no the starter should not have power until you energize the solenoid by turning on the key/button. try turning the key on and go down to the solenoid and jump the 2 big cables and the starter should turn over. if not then there is something wrong w/ the starter set up. if it does crank over the starter, then there is something wrong w/ the solenoid or set up. this is all assuming that you have the poper wiring and good connections and a charged battery. the small wire on the solenoid should only have power when you hit the starter button which in turn energizes the solenoid to pass the power through the solenoid to the starter. hope that helps ya.