Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

I'm an idiot

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 04:12 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm an idiot

I took the solenoid off a 95 425 magnum about a year ago and just got around to putting a new one on, I can't remember where the wires went. It has two posts with a smaller post on one side. There are a total of 5 red wires (something rigged I'm sure, I'm not the first owner of this thing.) Two are large 6 gauge wires, one smaller one, I think goes one the small post. Two more mystery wires. Which side does the large wire to the battery go? The side with the smaller stud or the other? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:28 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the 2 big cables go on the big studs. r/ side goes to the battery and l/side to the starter. one red wire should be hot(powered) w/ the key or button pushed and this would go to the smaller stud(maybe one on the left side, i think) which energizes the solenoid. it might be that the other wires if put on by owner go on the big stud on battery side to power something??

Old 05-25-2010, 05:37 PM
Range Rover

Thanks, I'll try with the mystery wires on the battery side. Its good to know that I can be gone for months and get a quick knowledgeable reply. I use a tractor forum and a golf cart forum and this is the best with the best people. The only people more enthusiastic are the gun forum folks, I think they may be crazy though....thanks again.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:31 AM
Range Rover
Default Welll....

I have everything hooked up correctly, I think. The when I turn the key on the neutral light comes on there seems to be power everywhere there should be but when I push the button, nothing. No click or any detectable sound. Bridging the terminals with a wrench works but the machine still will not start only turn over. It will not start with the pull rope either. I haven't checked the spark yet cause it is such a pain to get the plug out. just wondering if this sounds familiar to anyone, any advice.... thanks

Old 05-26-2010, 03:59 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

my guess is that you won't find any fire. it may also sound like someone has messed w/ the wiring and maybe your switch isn't wired up correctly and is actually still grounding out(causing it not to start). i would want to chase down where the other red wires goes to see what has been done. also make sure the kill switch isn't causing it not to have fire even though the kill switch being on it shouldn't do anything. did you check to see if there was power going to the solenoid small post when you push the button? you need to find the wire that comes from the button that gives power when it is pushed and that wire should hook to the solenoid. hope some of this makes sense to you. good luck

Old 05-26-2010, 07:24 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the help, I found my manual for my 2000 magnum. The electrical trouble shooting section seemed pretty similar to the 95. The problem turned out to be a corroded wire. Out of the seven million or so wires it was the fourth one I looked at. Pretty lucky. I'm out popping wheelies and about to clean it up for sale. thanks again.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:32 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

Originally Posted by TxMagnum
Thanks for the help, I found my manual for my 2000 magnum. The electrical trouble shooting section seemed pretty similar to the 95. The problem turned out to be a corroded wire. Out of the seven million or so wires it was the fourth one I looked at. Pretty lucky. I'm out popping wheelies and about to clean it up for sale. thanks again.
glad you got it straighten out and good luck on your sale.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:08 PM
Trailblazer

Not just in this instance but really anytime you (I) take something apart I take pictures before I start and as I go along. I like to use a good camera but just about every cellphone has a camera these days for reference.

Can't tell you how many times I go to the store and refer to the pics on my iPhone to get the right replacement parts.

Something to remember.