Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

XP Skid plates

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XP Skid plates

I know this has been discussed before, but just wanted a refresher on what the latest opinions are for XP skidplates. I pounded my machine a couple of times the other day, once above water and once below....major impacts I could feel all the way through my body....Frankly I'm afraid to look, but will haul the beast up tomorrow and inspect the damage. It's fairly obvious now that I need a better skid plate...what are my options if I don't want to spend $600 for the full aluminum deal.

What I find strange is that aluminum is super sticky...it grips to rocks like glue. My first pair of waders had aluminum soles for walking on wet rocks while fly fishing. I could almost run down a slippery rock river that you'd be on your a$$ on with sneakers. -You'd think there would be a better substance than aluminum for a skid plate that's making contact with rocks...It's light, and durable and relatively inexpensive to buy/fab.....Maybe some kind of slippery plastic would be better and cheaper?

Old 06-22-2010, 07:01 PM
Trailblazer

Lots of money for a plate and the bike already has pretty decent protection underneath. Nicks and scratches I don't mind and the essential parts are protected. Probably cheaper to replace a bent or broken part in the long run than the cost of full plating. My thoughts... Although I beat the heck out of my bike and don't give it a second thought.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:25 PM
Range Rover
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default xp skids

I wouldnt give 50 cents for the plastic skids on my xp Put on ricochet full set and very happy with ,you can get a full set or just get what you need and get other parts of set if you feel you need it richochet well thought out good hardware pkg and hd quality plastic skids on mine were torn and plenty of mud above so cleaning the mud out once in a while is an issue with each I believe IMO

Old 06-26-2010, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by 850 trailrider
I wouldnt give 50 cents for the plastic skids on my xp Put on ricochet full set and very happy with ,you can get a full set or just get what you need and get other parts of set if you feel you need it richochet well thought out good hardware pkg and hd quality plastic skids on mine were torn and plenty of mud above so cleaning the mud out once in a while is an issue with each I believe IMO
How difficult are the Ricochet's to get off in the winter? I need to mount a plow....Doesn't look like fun to be taking on and off on a semi-annual basis.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:26 AM
Range Rover
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default xp skid plates

Not sure how plow mounts up ,maybe have to just remove front skid? but they recomend removing skids every so often to clean out, neversieze on bolts? might make removing not so tuff