Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

7 Must Do Steps to get Maximum Power and Speed from the H.O. Sportsman..

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2001, 03:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Step 1. Remove the Mikuni Flat Slide carb, drain the gas, clean it up nice, place it in its' box and UPS it back to where it came from. Reinstall the original 40mm Mikuni CV
carb.
Step 2. Carefully take the custom aluminum airbox horn and place it on the mantel or someplace of importance in your shop or office so you can admire it for years to come.
Step 3. Using a left over piece of aluminum from the airhorn's fabrication, make a custom "restrictor plate" in order to adapt the original airhorn to the large gaping hole in your airbox.
Step 4. Remove the AAEN "Scrambler roller clutch assembly and carefully package and label it
"Return to Sender". Reinstall genuine Polaris Sportsman clutch.
Step 5. Primary clutch weights installed for high rpm development work , 44 grams, should be replaced by 46 gram "Scrambler" clutch weights, original equipment for the H.O.
Step 6. Replace AAEN long duration camshaft with Genuine Polaris H.O. (Scrambler) camshaft.
Step 7. Exhaust modifications may be too extensive to detail here in this treatise. Live with it, wait for an aftermarket pipe that might do something, or order a genuine Polaris H.O. replacement exhaust system to replace the one you
f**ked up with all that great welding equipment in your shop.
That's all there is to it!! After extensive testing, Jet runs, blind taste tests,
We have proof positive that Pigs Cannot Fly!!!

The Polaris engineers have done a good job getting what can be got out of this engine.
Don't bother trying to get more, it is more trouble than it's worth.
I will keep the cam 'cause it is more trouble to take out than to leave, and I will live with my exhaust mods, which are probably as good as the aftermarket pipes coming out. Hopefully they were developed with the help of a dynomometer, instead of a run up the road like mine.
The white clutch spring and the K&N are okay,
but really, take my advice, leave well enough alone. Buy rack extensions or a new pair of goggles, don't waste your money trying to get a H.O. HOT.
I give up, I'm keeping the H.O. and returning it to as near stock as I can get it.
I do want something faster, like a DS-650 but I have a feeling a lot of new stuff is going to come out in the next year so... I will wait and ride what I got, my very own Franken-H.O.
Silly Later,,,,,Fourlix

Old 03-04-2001, 05:45 AM
Trailblazer

Great post fourlix! I'll take a winch and a gunrack over 2mph topend any day. Plus we could all probably fund a local trail program with what we spend on aftermarket performance goodies. LOL I would also like to say that if anyone is looking for a place to put all of the perfectly good factory parts that they take off of their Sportsman, E-mail me for my address, I'll take them off your hands ....LOL.....have fun, ride safe!!!!!

Old 03-04-2001, 08:32 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fourlix,
your brand loyalty is overmatched by your honesty,there are a few veiwer's that could learn something from your post,great job,
Bill

Old 03-04-2001, 08:54 AM
Trailblazer

Fourlix,

I am dissapointed. I was hoping you'd find the silver bullet... I have a 2000 sp500RSE. I want more. Could you at least recommend upgrading it to an H.O. with the scrambler cam, bigger CV carb, H.O. clutch mods and H.O. exhaust? I can only guess at your frustrations. How about listing the +/- of every modification you have tried. Thanks for the effort.

Old 03-04-2001, 09:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

Here is what I did to a stock '00 SP 500, and I swear I now keep up with H.O. and the Grizz is passed quite easily.

* Scrambler's 40 mm Carb
* Scrambler's Cam
* K&N air filter (or UNI foam filter)
* Scrambler's clutch with setup (mine uses a red spring in the back and a pink one in front but I don't know the brand of those springs as somebody else did the setup for me and they were part of a huge lot in the back of his van. I only know that the load has to be reduced to 40-41 gr.) We tried different setups for 2 days using tons of different springs and weights and we clocked that one as the best.

* Install a little RPM ($30-$40) and be sure to keep the rev around 6,800 at top speed.

Old 03-04-2001, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for your post fourlix. The Polaris Sportman is what it is advertised as a UTILITY quad. I cant blame one for wanting to get a few more ponys of them. The HO update does just that on the standard machine. I have fooled with the clutch and other inexpensive mods and found little performance gains. You guys at close to sea level should come up to the high country. You would go home loving your Sportsman for what it is. Elevation really saps the horse power.
Rest asured you horsepower "freaks " will get the biggy one day. Polaris hasen't got where has by sitting on their a$$. Just think if they hadn't built what they have in the last few years we would all still be on 15 year old designed Hondus. Polaris woke someone up with thier updated features and we all benfited.

Old 03-04-2001, 02:03 PM
Range Rover

Thanks Fourlix for the excellent report, the honesty and the dollars expended.
I tend to beleive that this HO eng is already maxed out, no slam intended. I have the green sping installed and I think that will be the last mod.
Oh, I have dreamed of HPD clutch kits, a real good pipe and then, reality. If it ain't broke....
Enjoy the ride, the three moose I saw the other day didn't comment on how nice the bike looked. So why impress the clan.

Weetoots