Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Newbie looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes it could be the throttle cable slack adjuster. It is located on the throttle cable under the rubber sleeve by the handlebars. Sometimes they need a little adjustment.....

Old 07-30-2010, 11:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Big600twin; I'll check it out.

I should have my son's Honda finished up in another hour or two and then on to the Polaris!

Old 08-02-2010, 04:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Big600twin
Sometimes it could be the throttle cable slack adjuster. It is located on the throttle cable under the rubber sleeve by the handlebars. Sometimes they need a little adjustment.....
Well now it has gone from bad to worse!

I tried adjusting the cable adjuster and it didn't help. If I unscrewed the adjuster the idle speed would increase; if I screwed the adjuster in at some point it would just die. I checked to make sure the throttle cable was not pinched anywhere and then it started and ran a little lower rpm; enough that it would shift. Still not running as low as it should so..........

Turned it off and checked to make sure the choke cable was not pinched and after fooling with the choke cable which feels like it is fine, now I can't get the Polaris to start at all?? It just cranks and sounds like it wants to start once in a while but will not start. Smells like it is flooding but it was running great before all of this with the exception of the idle suddenly being too high??

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Tom

Old 08-02-2010, 06:01 PM
Range Rover

you most likely have the ETC (electronic throttle control) out of adjustment. just go back to where you adjusted the cable and readjust it so that there is 1/8 inch of free-play in the cable/throttle and it should fire right up'

Old 08-02-2010, 06:20 PM
Range Rover

Also go to this page and put info in for your ATV then look at the carb breakdown.
http://www.polarispartshouse.net/pag...4/Polaris.aspx
Item 32 is the idle adjustment screw. Hope this helps.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Here is a little trick for running bigger tires on your Polaris. Your bigger tires will rub on the fender directly behind the front tire.

If you look at the bolts holding the foot well in place, you can pull them out, drill new holes in the steel support underneath and shift the wheel well back a little making room up front for the larger tires.

The back has plenty of room all the way around so you have room back there to spare.

You don't want to put in a lift kit, or you will have U-joint/CV joint issues in no time.

you can put spacers under your springs, and make sure to push your Strut all the way back down so it's fully seated again, or you can go ahead and buy the HD springs for the front, and they will give you some lift.......or

go to www.t-m-2.com cause they make a unit you put under your springs, and you can adjust them with a spanner wrench like on most dirt bike shocks.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Big-O:
Thanks much for the input; I will get right on it tomorrow when I get home. Really appreciate your time and help!!

JohnnyIron:
Many thanks to you also!! I am looking at a set of used Mudlites with 27x10's for the front and 27x12's for the rear. Hoping maybe they won't cause as much of a problem but still a bit larger than the stock 25's.