Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Passengers...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 07:10 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know on the Hatfield McCoy trail system you cannot have a passenger unless you are on a 2x ATV. And they patrol it pretty regular. But I have not ridden double since my son was small and then I put him in front of me and would never have thought about going in the rougher areas that I ride. My suggestion is that if you do go double stick to the tamer trails and use some common sense.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

I too have no problem with people doing what they want, but in Cali it's illegal unless designed for two. That's why I bought the Touring model. I will say the Touring model and the X2 are much safer for carrying two as they have a longer wheelbase. Just be careful climbing with a passenger on the back of a built for one quad as they can flip easier.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with some of the others on 2-up riding. Biggest thing if you go that route is to use common sense. Rode that way for years with my daughter until she got her own. Never went over 20 mph on the open trails and always checked the hairy areas before going through.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:52 PM
Pro Rider

In Ohio it is illegal to ride 2 up on 1 up machines in the state forests but okay in the national forest. I personally wouldn't consider it more because the off camber trails than the steep hills (relatively flat here). Quads are powerful machines that, no matter how familiar you think you are, can react in dangerous ways. One person can shift his/her weight to help balance the machine much easier than two can. To each their own, but I would never ride two up. I care too much about myself and those I ride with to take the chance.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

When I first read CQ post, I interpeted it as really extreme and graphic. But you know, HE IS RIGHT! I had a roll down at H&M trails and it was just me. These Sportsmans are beasts. Heavy heavy heavy. If you ever wonder have one be on top of you. I am a big guy and pretty strong but it was the longest 3seconds of my life. I now have a long-life injury b/c of it.

That said, rolling around of a flat open farm without a rugged trail is different. Wearing helmets and taking all the proper precautions. But IF you feel its going to be a common riding event, going trailing and mudding etc. Definately get some kind of 2-UP even if she is 110 lbs. Its just not worth it and BTW I am a pretty careful guy, I don't blaze the trails, I don't ride stupid but if you ride enough accidents will happen (God forbid, of course) but things do happen. (aka accidents)

Thanks for listening and RIDE SAFE my friend!

Regards,

R'

Old 08-18-2010, 05:45 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the real problem with ridding 2up on a 1 up is the weight of the second person is behind the rear axel/ suspesion thus creating a lever with the back wheels. This problem shows its ugly face on off cambers/hills

Old 08-18-2010, 06:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm loving all the input! I pretty much have the safety mindset regarding carrying a passenger and would never think of doing anything more than casual trail riding with Honey on back. I drove a 3 wheeler with a passenger when I was a much younger man...It didn't work out so well! As mentioned in an earlier post, the passenger becomes a lever. I had a little hottie on the back and we were both having a great day in the sun. I was wearing shorts and she was wearing shorts and a tube top...that's it. Neither of us had shoes on and my buddy stopped by the house with his 3 wheeler. She asked me to take her up to the top of the hill across the street from my house. We got on, started up the hill and about 3/4 of the way up the hill, the front end just started coming up and kept coming! It all happened in an instant. We went over and aside from some trail rash on her back, we were OK. It could have been alot worse.
3 wheelers were not even built right for 1...much less 2!.

It has been since that ride til now for me off roading! I have changed my mind about riding on dirt...it's not THAT BAD! I just want to do it smart! I hope if I take Honey out a few times riding double...she'll want one of her own to drive!

Old 08-18-2010, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider
Originally Posted by mykidsdaddy
I hope if I take Honey out a few times riding double...she'll want one of her own to drive!
That won't be a problem! You notice I have two Touring models. The wife didn't like hanging on...she now has her own and is a PIA to try and keep up with.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ha Ha Ha!!! Yeah mine will end up doing the same! And as far as doing "Dangerous" things with her on back...I'm not allowed to crack the tires loose on ice in a parking lot if she is in the truck!!!

Old 10-24-2012, 05:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

my question is, if the rear rack is rated for 150 lbs, what difference does it make what that 150 lbs consists of. I understand the egress issue of a wrap around type seats. I just dont understand how the manufacturer can get away with saying a passenger changes the handling characteristics of the atv to an unsafe level, but if I want to haul 150 lbs of feed up the steepest hill I can find, thats ok.