Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 09:16 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrambler help needed!

Hello there. I normally post in the Kawasaki threads because that's what I own, but I've got a friends 99 Scrambler 400 in my garage and I'd like to fix it for him. Now I know you guys might not be as mechanically practiced as the kawi guys (cuz your stuff doesn't break as much, is what i'm told!), but hopefully someone can help. I believe I need to replace the voltage regulator. While running it one day the headlights got super bright then blew out, and it won't start anymore. I've checked out the parts diagram on bike bandit, but I have no clue where it's located or if this even is the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

They can do the same thing if the battery suddenly goes bad while it is running. Sometimes a battery can just suddenly short out inside and it loses all its voltage. When that happens the regulater goes nuts and puts out very high voltage which fries all light bulbs that are on at the time.

Don't do anything until you check the battery.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:43 AM
Pro Rider

i agree with overdrive,also should check ALL the grounds.the motor has 2 , motor to frame and motor to battery

Old 09-03-2010, 06:30 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Now I know you guys might not be as mechanically practiced as the kawi guys (cuz your stuff doesn't break as much, is what i'm told!)
If it's not broke,we will fix it until it is broke.

The RECTIFIER/REGULATOR is part 32 below. $88 its up by the front near the rad I think.OEM motorcycle and ATV parts from Honda, Yamaha & Polaris – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 09-03-2010, 08:28 PM
Range Rover

Battery/ starter hasn't worked in years. We pull start it every time. Shouldn't matter, right? The battery is still in there, but my friend said why replace it? Like I mentioned, it's not my quad, and I put new back tires and a chain on it (among other things) before this happened. So I'm not dropping another $88 into it. Is there no cheap easy fix?

Old 09-04-2010, 09:40 AM
Pro Rider

Older Polaris's had that problem and putting in a new battery will probably fix it like the other guys mentioned.

If your battery is dead, the regulator tries to get it charged back up(obviously) and it will put 18+ volts to it try and accomplish that. The rest of the system gets the 18+ volts too and bulbs, reverse limiter boxes, and occassionally cdi's can't handle that voltage. Components start to fry.

polaris came out with a diode kit to remedy this(I've never installed one tho) but if memory serves it was about the cost of 3 batteries.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:46 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replace the battery and ALL the bulbs and you will be set