Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

ANOTHER Valve thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 11:06 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ANOTHER Valve thread

So I picked up my 06 800 twin sportsman pretty cheap knowing it needed some work. Well now that I have done all the other work, (suspension repairs), it is time for the engine.
First... I have already changed the plugs. But I have been searching for some kind of instruction on adjusting the valves but I keep finding contradicting posts. I am sure that they need it done...I swear I can hear a "flapping" when the engine is running. At first I thought dead piston but it has plenty of power...at least ALOT more than my old Honda 450, but it does sound like a bit of ticking. Easier heard when shutting it down.

So...Are the valves adjustable or not? If so...to what specs? Any instructions on the steps to take? I have "heard" It is a nightmare with all that you have to remove to get to the valve covers.

Thanks all!

Old 10-04-2010, 11:08 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Hydraulic valve lifters,NO adjustment! They all make a little valve train noise with the push rod system. Have fun. OPT

Old 10-04-2010, 12:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Hydraulic valve lifters,NO adjustment! They all make a little valve train noise with the push rod system. Have fun. OPT

Then maybe I am hearing something else. I will have to record the sound and let you guys decide what it is. I know it isn't right but it is very audible.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:22 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Sound can come from side to side,but if more noticeable from left side could be drive clutch wear in slide button area,can make a tapping or slapping sound,from right side is where ALL the gears are for the crank,counter balancer and oil pump,and cam gear. FOUR gears total! Usually the noise quietens on clutch and gears as rpm increase. If really noisy from top of engine,valve cover can be pulled (can re use gasket) and check that 10 mm rocker arm bolts are tight! Keep us posted. PLUS could be in flywheel area? You can pull black eternal cover,inner cover comes off with it and check that flywheel nut is tight,hasn't started shearing key way,plus check for any starter bendix pieces that may have been chunked out (can and has happened on several models) OPT

Old 10-04-2010, 04:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

It does sounds more from hte right / front area.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:30 AM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What models need adjustment and which ones don't?
Thanks..Caper.....

Old 10-05-2010, 07:54 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

All models except the 600,700,and 800 engines have valve clearance adjustments,including Hawkeye,Sawtooth,Predator,Outlaw,325 and 330 engines. Except you guys with 2-strokes!

Old 10-06-2010, 07:26 AM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks..........

Old 12-01-2011, 10:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sound can come from side to side,but if more noticeable from left side could be drive clutch wear in slide button area,can make a tapping or slapping sound,from right side is where ALL the gears are for the crank,counter balancer and oil pump,and cam gear. FOUR gears total! Usually the noise quietens on clutch and gears as rpm increase. If really noisy from top of engine,valve cover can be pulled (can re use gasket) and check that 10 mm rocker arm bolts are tight! Keep us posted. PLUS could be in flywheel area? You can pull black eternal cover,inner cover comes off with it and check that flywheel nut is tight,hasn't started shearing key way,plus check for any starter bendix pieces that may have been chunked out (can and has happened on several models) OPT
I know this is an old post but I have had to set aside working on the scooter for working on another toy.... ANywazy...back to the sound... it does quiest down as the rpms go up. So I am going with drive clutch wear.
This is an 05 with alot of miles and time on it. it was previously owned by a surveyor and he did abuse this machine. I will record the sound and post a link to it. But I think you hit it with the clutch wear. So how complicated is it to R&R? I am pretty handy with the tools. I do all the work on my diesel F350 so I don't think this would be that tough...would it?

Old 12-02-2011, 06:16 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just take the clutch cover off and inspect the six (6) buttons that glide up and down the clutch. If really worn you can see it and also feel the "play" in the clutch just by lightly rocking the clutch body side to side. If you feel a lot of slack that could be the noise you are hearing! Look also where the buttons glide for deep grooves in the clutch body! Also check for wear in the three shift weights. There is also the inner one way bearing that may need the fiber and metal washer replaced and the one way may need to be cleaned/greased also?There are several areas that can wear out on the front clutch and can get a little expensive! I've had em so loud that have come into the shop,they sounded like a diesel engine clattering! If service is needed you need a clutch puller and a spider tool to separate the clutch! I was able to use an impact on the spider tool without having to use the base to unscrew it (probably part of the reason my hands finally gave out! It helps to have a manual,but if you just note how it works,then not necessary! Compare the cost of the tools versus just pulling the clutch and having it serviced by a shop! Hope this is the noise that's been driving you crazy OPT

Quick Reply: ANOTHER Valve thread