Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Buying first ATV

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 03:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying first ATV

Hi, all! A little background...I'm trying to surprise the fam and buy them their first ATV (riding in farm field behind us, moderate snow-plowing of the driveway, and general fun intended.)

There is a dealership by us that has two, 2008 Polaris Sportsman 300 4X4's....one uncrated and one still in the box. I don't want to go crazy and get top of the line right of the gate and spend $10,000 on one machine before we really know what we're doing. They want $3999 plus $300 freight for each, and I am considering buying both. I've looked around online and have done some research on Polaris, but I have a few questions. I found this information especially helpful: How to select the right ATV for you

1. Should I be concerned that they are new 2008s? What have they been doing with them the last two years? Will the batteries be shot, or any other parts while they've sat there for 2 years?
2. It seems this is a reasonable price, when compared to others online but the freight charge disturbs me....just another jab to get extra money, and this was not made clear in their advertisements until I contacted them.
3. Any other concerns or questions I should have or be asking when I go there?

Thanks so much!
Tammy

Old 12-13-2010, 04:12 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!
Default Go For It

I would not be concerned about the fact that they are leftovers. As far as the battery...I know that the dealership that I deal with doesn't even charge the battery until the quad is purchased. The freight charge...I would try to negotiate that in the price...they should be ready to move these quads and not pay the tax on inventory again! When considering buying two quads...how many family members are you talking and how old are they? This is a great gift!! The family will be very happy...

Old 12-13-2010, 04:20 PM
Trailblazer

The freight charge is one more way for them to more money out of you. Make a deal on the machines and tell them only if you remove the freight charge you'll buy them. If they say no walk!!!

Old 12-13-2010, 04:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes, I thought maybe I could negotiate the freight if I got them both off their hands.

Do you think the tires will be OK? And also, is it possible to get two on one trailer? No sense in getting two if we have to have two cars to pull them. We have a 4WD Tahoe with a tow package that should do the job for towing capacity.

Hubby is 37 (but reverts to 14 in a second's notice when he's excited) and my boys are 14 and 15. I actually think I will have to revive them on Christmas day if I'm able to follow through with this. I agree that they will be very happy! I would have to figure out how to get them here and hide them....maybe at the neighbor's house?....and get helmets that actually fit them....so we'll be ready to roll (literally ha!) Christmas morning.

Thanks for any input. Greatly appreciated. I certainly had no idea there was so much to know about ATV's until I delved into it!

Old 12-13-2010, 07:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

If you can swing a little more cash I think you could get 2 new 500 ho sportsmans for about 10 otd. These are a much better machine and will have enough power to plow all day and then go for a fun trail ride. Also they have a much better resale value if you decide you dont like them. They also list for 5499 so most dealers will go 5000 and if you get 2 they should eat the over inflated shipping cost.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:37 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!
Default We are all kids at heart

Originally Posted by PTZHK
Yes, I thought maybe I could negotiate the freight if I got them both off their hands.

Do you think the tires will be OK? And also, is it possible to get two on one trailer? No sense in getting two if we have to have two cars to pull them. We have a 4WD Tahoe with a tow package that should do the job for towing capacity.

Hubby is 37 (but reverts to 14 in a second's notice when he's excited) and my boys are 14 and 15. I actually think I will have to revive them on Christmas day if I'm able to follow through with this. I agree that they will be very happy! I would have to figure out how to get them here and hide them....maybe at the neighbor's house?....and get helmets that actually fit them....so we'll be ready to roll (literally ha!) Christmas morning.

Thanks for any input. Greatly appreciated. I certainly had no idea there was so much to know about ATV's until I delved into it!
As far as fitting two quads on one trailer...yes...there are lots of options out there. I have two full size utility quads and hauled them for a summer on a two place tilt snowmobile trailer that I picked up for 300 bucks! I have since replaced that trailer with something bigger (18 foot) we have used an 18 foot to haul five full size quads (got pretty tight). If you are looking just two haul two 300 size quads I would say that a 6X12 trailer with a ramp gate would serve you very well!

Tires on the quad should be in very good condition as they have yet to see any weather. I think that every person reverts back to age 14 when they get on their quad. There is a very strange way that a quad takes away many of the worries in life while you are on it. I have ridden about a thousand miles this summer (very most of it with my brother and dad) what an awesome way to spend a weekend (or week)!!

Old 12-13-2010, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with 8fitty, plus some of the smaller sportsman's don't have low range and you really should have it , to push snow.
check winch ,plow prices too
You didn't say how old or tall your children were, one of my friends had two sons and he had to get a new one every year , cause the oldest kept outgrowing the machines

Old 12-13-2010, 07:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, 8fitty . I will definitely look into that. Great advice!

That is a LOT of miles, mud! WOW! I know we all revert....I call the rest of my family "my boys" when they're acting goofy. There is an ATV "park" so to speak, about an hour from us called the Badlands, which is supposed to be fun. I know our neighbors can tell us some info, too. They have one son who just rides around their house for hours, but they can be seen on any given weekend loading them up and heading out. Unfortunately, we are all snowed in at the moment. Almost two feet in the past day or so, which is crazy ridiculous, even for here in NW IN.

I went and looked up the specs again to see the actual dimensions of each machine and then searched for trailers to see if it was possible. Also found this: How to Transport Two Quads in a Trailer | eHow.com which helped me envision exactly how it is to be done.

Thanks again, all. You've been a big help! I just hope I'm buying a quality item and that it will last.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

4get, they are 14 and 15 and man-sized already (my oldest is 6' tall, and I don't think he's going to grow much more and the youngest, maybe a few inches left.)

Will take your advice and do some research to price this stuff out. I've seen a rebate program for 2010's, so maybe with that and negotiation I can get it to a reasonable amount. Oy. I hate shopping.

Are the 500s and 300s equally reliable?

Old 12-14-2010, 07:11 AM
Pro Rider

The 500,s probably the best machine polaris ever built, I usually tell people to buy at least a 500 cause if you buy anything smaller youll want a bigger one shortly, go with the 500,s if possible

Quick Reply: Buying first ATV