Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Slipping belt questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 05:54 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i think you should be able to install the seconary spring w/ out using a press. you may need an extra pair of hands to make it easier.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

I would hate to get into it and not be able to finish... SO, I made up a press today, but need the dimensions of the "ring" that needs to be compressed.

I use a 12" piece of all thread, welded to a angle iron that gets clamped in a vice. I welded a 5" piece of 5/16 rod to a nut. (Instead of using a wrench) Then I welded together two washers. One large 3" with a smaller one that is the size of the all thread. This will go on top of the round stock, once I know what diameter to use. I'm thinking 1 1/2" or 2" should work, but how tall?

Can anyone give me the dimension of this part so I can make the last part?

CW

Old 02-11-2011, 04:47 AM
Trailblazer
Wink

Well I picked up my machine last night.... All I can say is WOW!!!

Now that the belt/CVT is working properly, this thing has twice the power!!! I rode around the dealer to the trailer, when I got out to the wide open, clear parking lot, (in high) I stabbed the throttle and the front wheels came right off the ground!!!! WOW!!!! It would get "lite" before, but try as I might it couldn't quite get them up in high before. Lo sure, but I expected that. Now HUGE difference!!!!

The found the main shaft in the tranny was bad. Counter guy couldnt elaborate. But the kid out back jostling machines around to get mine out knew the issues and said the surface where the seal rode was scored. Causing it to "weep" into the CVT cover. Also they adjusted the deflection that was causing my hard shifting problem.

Its gonna be mighty hard the next month or so... we have much too much snow on the ground to hit my trails here. I have the clutch kit to install and with all that snow (I plow) I have the $$ for the new tires all set aside. I'll be near critical with cabin fever by march for sure!! LOL

I got the dimensions for the secondary puller on another site. I'll try it out when I install the clutch kit in the next couple weeks.

CW

Last edited by cwlongshot; 02-11-2011 at 04:49 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-11-2011, 06:17 AM
Trailblazer

u shouldn't need a puller for the secondary clutch, should just come right off after u take the center bolt out, when u do take the secondary off, put anti seize on the splines, makes things a lot easier

Old 02-11-2011, 08:40 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

Originally Posted by kcaves
u shouldn't need a puller for the secondary clutch, should just come right off after u take the center bolt out, when u do take the secondary off, put anti seize on the splines, makes things a lot easier
you should be able to slide it right off unless it's some how rusted to the shaft.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:43 PM
Trailblazer
Thumbs up

MY BAD.... Miss type, yes I know the secondary of just on a spline and should slide off. Thanks for the heads up guys!!

What I should have said is secondary PRESS to change the spring in the clutch kit. If I read correctly, mine should be a team clutch and have a heavier spring inside. making the spring compression tool required.

CW

Old 02-11-2011, 05:46 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

it is harder to do then the non roller clutches, but it still can be done w/ out the press, but it would be alot easier w/ one for sure.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:40 PM
Trailblazer
Smile

Originally Posted by stendori
it is harder to do then the non roller clutches, but it still can be done w/ out the press, but it would be alot easier w/ one for sure.

Mine should be a team roller, no?

CW