Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

03 trailblazer 400 quicker bite from the clutch

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 03:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it isnt heavy so much as tension on the springs. A little extra twist can do the trick and save you some coin.
I didnt change my spring out I twisted it tigher
And yes if the springs are wound too tight or just have too much spring assuming you have the displacement you bike will flip over if you stab it.

Like I said there is a fine line I do most of my work between 15-25 mph.
I had my primary clutch machined added lighter rollers and had my fixed plate modified to sit lower in the sheave to increase my grunt and inital power up to about 25-30 mph to make the bike quicker.
I just had this work done and the snow will not allow me to run real time tests since there is a lack of traction.
I am new to this process and I only know enough to be dangerous.
Look at Mad Mike / Cooper / Airdam there are more and you will find them as you read....
all are clutch mods and see which one does the polaris then do some reading. This is what I did and this is why I have Airdam on my bike (cat/zuke/can-am).
He told me with the mods I have I will get between 17-20% more low end in high gear and that means faster take off and low-mid quicks and that is what I wanted. Gotta get my fat *** over hills
Good luck and post what you find.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider

I have been doing some research and some self testing based on what you said you did. I wrote airdam to see if they would even fool with a polaris clutch and haven't heard back yet. I did do what King Quad did and put some twist in my primary spring, test rode it, and twisted some more, and WOW what a difference. I can't wait to order a set of springs (front and rear) for my bike. I went from being able to squeeze it with my hands down to about an inch to and after two twisting's went to about 1 1/2". I'm not totally sure what the tensions are for that but, I am going to make an educated guess on the primary and do a bit more research on what will work with that for the secondary. It takes just a moment for it to engage, but it MORE than makes up for the slight hesistation when it takes off. I will probably go with an EPI orange or yellow (primary) and blue (secondary) springs. I will do A LOT of research on the rollers and flyweights before I order so I can get everything at one time. I can get used to whatever I get out of those springs, I just have to try them and see where it takes me Thanks a bunch for all the info on springs and whatnot... when I order and change the springs out I will definately let you guys know what I get from whatever I end up ordering! Thanks again

Old 02-05-2011, 05:03 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try this belt POLARIS #3211113
Works great.May drag at first but when set in it will rock.
Stock pipe do the springs I said and you will be happy.If you want to go EPI try a pink or maroon primary spring.I personally dont care for the EPI purple secondary that was mentioned.Not enough back shift like the the one I mentioned.
I dont recommend set ups I havent run myself.Some others may work but I havent tried them

Old 02-05-2011, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

You guys have beenmore than helpful! and now in the search for knowlodge I've come back to you... I've been scouring the forums trying to find as much info as I can on clutching my bike, and now I think I have more questions than I started with. But I'm finding most of the answers between the forums (several of them), google, and bing. But the ones that I'm having the hardest time finding answers to are the tension rates for the aaen blue secondary spring(or if somone knows of one from EPI that is the same or really close), does my bike have EBS, and I've seen alot about 1 to 1 and 2 to 2 and even some 2 to 1 ratios... what are these, what do they do, and does any of this pertain to my bike? my clutch is stock if that helps anyone. I'm trying to do all of this without spending a TON of $$ and if I can order both springs from the same place atleast I'll save on some shipping... DK has both primary and secondary springs for under 20 bucks and hdp wants 25 plus shipping for the aaen blue secondary, and like 39 for the primary spring. If I can't find out about the tension/rate of aaen's spring I'll probably just bite the bullet and get a setup that seems to be tried and true. Thanks again

Old 02-06-2011, 08:20 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

The VERY best way to understand clutching is to get a copy of Aaens Clutch Tunning Handbook.That will answer all your questions

Old 02-07-2011, 10:16 AM
Pro Rider

As for Adam at Airdam dont bother with the E-Mail he got a secretary but that doesnt seem to help.... Google "airdam phone number" and cal him. If you get him on the phone he is more than nice and will talk your ear off and answer all your questions.
Glad you felt the result of adding tension to the springs.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:04 PM
Pro Rider

thanks King Quad... I've been getting responces from someone there and they seem to just want to sell me a new clutch, so I think i'm going to do some calling around and see how all these springs react that everybody has said on here. and try to find out what the EPI kit for my bike comes with and go from there... from what I have been able to understand from you guys and HOURS of research online, I think I'm going with a maroon primary and purple secondary from EPI. I just have to do some learning about the 1-1,2-2,2-1 and soforth. I am going to have to learn about preloading the springs and what weights to go with too... I should be purchasing in the next couple of weeks and when I get everything put in I'll deffinately let everyone know what I used and how it performs... if anybody can explain the ratios it would be GREATLY appreciated. And Thanks again everyone... there's not much that can't get figured out with these forums!!

Old 02-07-2011, 05:47 PM
Quad Patrol

Dont waist your time or money on the EPI purple.Go with aaen blue or HPDs old violet.Daltons blk/white primary or a Polaris green.EPI pink is good the maroon may have too much stall for stock pipe.Set the secondary at 2-2.Listen to me and you will be happy and not out a bunch of cash and time.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:26 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Jmuddin284
thanks King Quad... I've been getting responces from someone there and they seem to just want to sell me a new clutch, so I think i'm going to do some calling around and see how all these springs react that everybody has said on here.
You are better to call. He is a bit scattered with so much work.
Look at his site he machines the sheaves and can give advise on roller weights ect.
It seems like ftwflh has run a few set ups and would appear to be a good resource. I would talk more about what your ultimate goal for the machine is and see if that matches ftwflh's results.

Me I am happy with my mods but then again I have a different machine and different goals.
Good luck to you.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider

is there somewhere I can order both of the springs that you're suggesting from one place? I have found the dalton springs, and i've found the aaen blue and the hpd violet, and of course the polaris but no combinations of them from any one site... or atleast not any of the ones you recommend on one site. Do you know of one? or will I have to order each spring seperately? and which one would you recomend more, the EPI pink,the dalton white/black, or the polaris green? is there an epi secondary spring that is close to the aaen blue? I haven't been able to find any tensions on it it's just listed on their website as "medium". EPI makes a blue secondary spring also, but again I can't compare it to aaen's.

Quick Reply: 03 trailblazer 400 quicker bite from the clutch