Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Starter removal in an 06 Sportsman 500 HO

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 01:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter removal in an 06 Sportsman 500 HO

HI can anyone give me a step by procedure for removing the starter. I have to change mine out. It won't engage as soon as the temperature drops below freezing. Which in Winnipeg is from October to May.

Thanks

Doug

Old 02-08-2011, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider

diconect the negative battery cable at the battery and at the starter, remove the 2 bolts in the starter, remove starter, I would remove the recoil housing and have a look in ther too, maybe full of watweer, mud ect may be your problem

Old 02-08-2011, 11:06 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Hold it! Before you pull the starter. Is the starter winding up when you hit the key? If it is, I would strongly suspect it's the bendix not kicking out when spun by the starter motor. If this is your case, no need to pull the starter just yet. I'd pull the recoil housing as keybirds mentioned before and inspect everything. Pay careful attention to the bendix. That's where I've seen most problems when the starter motor is spinning but not turning the engine over.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys, I will take a look a the recoil. I had tried to pull it over manually the last time the starter would not engage and the recoil rope would not pull out. This starter problem only started when it got cold out, but I had been riding through alot of water and crap. I just need it too warm up a liitle, -30C is too cold to work in teh garage.

Doug

Old 02-09-2011, 09:11 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

If water is in the recoil ,the Bendix will not work until its thawed out. Just let the ATV sit in a heated garage or but a torch on the recoil cover and see if it starts. Unless you silcone the pull rope handle down over the rope hole water will always work itself into the recoil.

If you ever have to change the starter, remove it from uder the seat and air box, not the manuals hard way of removing the clutches and back plate.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks TLC, The polaris service manual I have doesn't even talk about removing the starter. When I looked at trying to take it out I figured I was going to have to take out the air box, I wasn't quite sure how I was going to get at the bottom bolt behind the clutch cover.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:00 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Originally Posted by dslyone
Thanks guys, I will take a look a the recoil. I had tried to pull it over manually the last time the starter would not engage and the recoil rope would not pull out. This starter problem only started when it got cold out, but I had been riding through alot of water and crap. I just need it too warm up a liitle, -30C is too cold to work in teh garage.

Doug
Yep, definitely sounds like water in the recoil housing. Hope the water didn't damage any of the electrical components. When you put it back together I'd seal the handle with silicon real good to help prevent this from happening again. In the event you'd have to use the pull start just reseal it again and your good to go.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:01 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The Hard core mud runner guys at High Lifter forum actually remover the pull rope assembly, and plug the pull rope hole off.