Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How can I change the color?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 07:47 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scootergptx
Can't remember what year model they made these, but you don't see many of them.

Its a 400 Sport, the last year of that model was 1999,then the 400 Scrambler replace them.

Polaris had the Freedom Edition theme going on in 2002 for the Sportsman but I did not know the 400 Sport also had it.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:13 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

Weren't all the gen III plastics pretty much interchangeable?

I know if you did go with plastic from the 4 stroke scrammy you had to use your old nose piece for the oil filler.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:29 AM
Pro Rider

Weren't all the gen III plastics pretty much interchangeable?

I know if you did go with plastic from the 4 stroke scrammy you had to use your old nose piece for the oil filler.
That makes sense, but I have no idea if they are or not. And yes, the last year they made a 400l sport was indeed 1999. BUT They made a 400 trailblazer in 2003, which is basically the same bike just with a few updates. It would be great to know if the older 400 sports or the scramblers plastics would fit, specifically what years would be great i anybody knows! I've been trying to find as many pictures of where the body is mounted to see how similar they are. I can't find one of the bolts under the seat or of the 2 PITA torx screws under the nose piece to hold the front of the fenders on. If anybody can help with those or know what years/models would fit, that would be GREAT!

Attached Thumbnails How can I change the color?-trailblazer.jpg  
Old 05-06-2011, 08:35 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

If I remember (again with the memory) the front fenders on my 03 were riveted just under the nose piece. Drilled those out and just used two small bolts to hold it together.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:13 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Yes it must be a Trailblazer 400 if its a freedom edition. They sure do look alot like the Sport.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:15 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

They did make a 250 version. Notice the numbers and the lack of a radiator.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider

they are pretty sharp looking bikes, but I bet a set of those plastics or even getting the wraps to make mine look like that would be a bit pricy Mine has screws up front under the nose, so I wouldn't have any problem there.... I'm thinking about checking with my local auto paint supplier and see what he's got to say about painting plastics..... I just have my doubts about rattle cans sticking even if I follow the directions to the letter.....

Old 05-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

Originally Posted by Jmuddin284
they are pretty sharp looking bikes, but I bet a set of those plastics or even getting the wraps to make mine look like that would be a bit pricy Mine has screws up front under the nose, so I wouldn't have any problem there.... I'm thinking about checking with my local auto paint supplier and see what he's got to say about painting plastics..... I just have my doubts about rattle cans sticking even if I follow the directions to the letter.....
One of the auto paint suppliers here used to put the color and mix of flex agents into a can for you. Never priced it, but I'd bet there's a minimum to it. Another possibility to check in to.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:22 PM
Pro Rider

theres pait that will work with plastic,..as much plastic thats on cars now days,..see a auto body man,..seen one weild up front spoiler for a ex blonds rs camaro,..it was wore plum threw from out side where she drug it ove drive ways,..he fixed it up,painted it an lookd show room till she wrecked it again...

Old 05-06-2011, 04:19 PM
Pro Rider

One of the auto paint suppliers here used to put the color and mix of flex agents into a can for you. Never priced it, but I'd bet there's a minimum to it. Another possibility to check in to.
I didn't get by there today, but I'll stop in monday and talk to them about something like that. I know they have the ability to make rattle cans, but like you said there may be a minimum $$ I would have to buy.

Bigcam400: The only thing about paint for plastics used on cars is on cars the paint wouldn't have to move nearly as much on a car bumper, fender, etc. as it would on a atv fender.... unless it's in an accident It's also usually just a different primer they use on the plastics and use the same paint.(as far as I understand it)

I'm gonna look for a can of the fusion paint this weekend and test it on an old set of plastics from a totaled wheeler I have stashed away from years ago and see how well it flexes following the directions to the letter and will report on it when I get results.

Quick Reply: How can I change the color?