Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

tranny issues Sportsman 500 08

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 11:13 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny issues Sportsman 500 08

Fellas,
Need some help with this one. Riding last week, pretty hard, going down hill, you know how we have that clanking when we go down hill and the rear bounces, well, when I got to the bottom of hill, hit the throttle and some more clanking then, nothing. No GO. spinning, fluid leaking out from front drive and near front of rear shaft. no, low, high, rev, neither in 2 or 4x4. Where to start? "Park" works fine, but nothing else..... Motor is still good, winch is obviously working to help get me to the top of the next hill. What a bear to get out of the woods for 4 miles! Any help or suggestions of where to start and what it might be would be appreciated....
Thanks guys

Old 05-03-2011, 04:50 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by SportmanDrewBodie
Fellas,
Need some help with this one. Riding last week, pretty hard, going down hill, you know how we have that clanking when we go down hill and the rear bounces, well, when I got to the bottom of hill, hit the throttle and some more clanking then, nothing. No GO. spinning, fluid leaking out from front drive and near front of rear shaft. no, low, high, rev, neither in 2 or 4x4. Where to start? "Park" works fine, but nothing else..... Motor is still good, winch is obviously working to help get me to the top of the next hill. What a bear to get out of the woods for 4 miles! Any help or suggestions of where to start and what it might be would be appreciated....
Thanks guys
KINDA hard to decipher,but you said leaking at front of rear gear case along with leaking at front gear case? Talking about where prop shaft goes into transmission? If so then could have ring and pinon gear problem at transmission output shaft where prop shaft mounts and goes to front gear case. If ring/pinion problem,then no power to front,could possibly lock tranny up? OR prop shaft splines stripped?? Are front and rear drive shafts ok?? Try one more time and slow down on explanation,I'M OLD and get confused often!! OPT

Old 05-04-2011, 06:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will get into this weekend/week and re post. I understand. I just heard the clanking and saw the oil dripping, basically. It almost sounded like it may be the "silent chain" or something similar.....