Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

stumped help needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stumped help needed

Have a 2007 sportsman x2 500, which was running fine up until it met up with a water hole a little deeper than both of us thought. Water was almost up to the seat by the time I reversed out. As soon as I backed out and let go of the throttle it stalled and every since then it will stall if I don't give it just a touch of gas to keep it going ( and that was 3 weeks ago, and have drove it a bit after) Replaced the plug did not see any water in the intake. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

chuck

Old 05-10-2011, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider

it sounds like you got water up the muffler into the motor and filled the bowl on the carb try draining the bowl by backing the drain screw out on the bottom of the bowl it sounds like you have a mixture of water and gas i did the same thing with my out lander i just keeped ridding it hard for the rest of the day and it ran good after every thing dried out how do you in take boots look they might have let water in that way you can start it up and take ether and spray the books and the motor will rev telling you that your boots are cracked and need replacing thats were my water came in at

Old 05-10-2011, 09:26 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck72
Have a 2007 sportsman x2 500, which was running fine up until it met up with a water hole a little deeper than both of us thought. Water was almost up to the seat by the time I reversed out. As soon as I backed out and let go of the throttle it stalled and every since then it will stall if I don't give it just a touch of gas to keep it going ( and that was 3 weeks ago, and have drove it a bit after) Replaced the plug did not see any water in the intake. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

chuck
Check/drain oil tank,if has water in it the water WILL come out first! Plus water and dirt probably in tank and fuel system. Water can suck right in the air box into carb or throttle body. Have had em swamped to where I've had to run and drain oil several times to get the water out,flush tanks,etc . Three weeks too long to wait on this! OPT

Old 05-11-2011, 07:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the ideas I have checked the oil after the incident and there was no water in the oil atleast. Will check the fuel bowl and such tonight. Does any one know a realiable source online to purchase a service manual for my 2007 sportsman x2 500

Thanks