Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Dynoport pipe/silencer/spark arrester and Delta v-force evaluations!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2001, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe,
I dont have the cheater pipe,im a ASI safety instructor,so I have to stay within the legal db sound limits of our State,and it is also law to have a spark arrester.

I have a RcR airbox mod w/KN filter,Delta v force reeds and spacer,and a green primary spring.She comes up very easy in low range,but my take offs are still not very good in high range.I have EBS on my quad to.Currently,im running a 230 main jet,im thinking of jetting down to a 220 tommorrow until the weather warms some more?
Bill

Old 03-14-2001, 05:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every change made to an engine requires certain amount of tuning adjutments to the carb/engine and clutch to extract maximum performance. Installing a pipe could require not only jetting changes, but possibly needle, clip position and even slide changes to work properly. Not to mention clutch tuning.

There are lots of "tricks" to get it to work correctly. I think that most think they can just buy the parts, install and run. No way. Nothing works like that. These forums are full of posts by people who think they can do exactly that . . . install parts and run with little or no tuning knowledge, or even ideas of what to expect from th changes. Sure, they blame it on the manufacturer, just like we are hearing right here.

In reality it's the buyer who is responsible for investing in performance or throwing $$$ out the window since there is no clue as to what tuning adjustments can make it work "properly". That's why you see some extremely fast machines that create legends and then all the others. Mixing and matching various components requires lots of research and testing to work properly. Some components just don't work, and others don't work well with other stuff. So, to blame it on the mfgr. is not quite right. Under the right conditions, in the right hands, all those speed parts do work, it's just making them work on "your" bike.

Old 03-14-2001, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

Jack,
I agree with you,and if you read my other posts and this one carefully,you would allready know that I did the neccessary modifications as indicated by the MANUFACTURES sheet when they sent me their pipes.So your assumtion of me just installing parts without the recommended neccessary ''tuning''[as per the manufactures performance sheet] could not be further from the truth.I dont feel im guilty of that.Now first off,PSI mis lead me right from the start of my order.The pipe they said they were sending me was suppose to be a one piece pipe with a spark arrester installed and under 96db,it come in 2 pieces,with no SA and far exceeding the 96db sound limit.I spent NUMEROUS times on the phone with them on IGNORE.

PSI said to go to a 250 or 260 main jet,I tried both.They sent me a black primary spring along with their pipe,I changed it as recommended.They said to turn the air screw out 1 turn,I did that.Their performance sheet said to have the needle clip set at the 2ond notch from the top,I did that.Everything that PSI had written on their PSI performance sheet,I did!I still had poor acceleration from a take-off till around 8mph,than the quad ''hauled a$$''.Is that my fault as you suggest?Or is that indeed the manufactures fault for misleading me?

I had called PSI numerous times tring to get a low end from THEIR pipe,to NO avail!They had me change my pilot jet,no help.I finally got PISSED with these experiments and asked around in these forums for a pipe that WORKS?I was recommended to Dynoport.I have done everything they have asked me to do as well,im still not completely happy for the approximate 500 dollar investment.I know that the engine is still hiding some power with this Dynoport pipe because above 8-10mph,there is a HUGE differance between the PSI and Dynoport pipe.It aggrevates me knowing that this engine is still hiding some power with the Dynoport,but I have NO idea which direction to go next,I've done what the manufactures asked me to do for THEIR pipes.

If you have any helpful suggestions,I'd certainly would be open to them,
Bill

Old 03-14-2001, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EPI clutch kit...LOL Just kidding!

Maybe lowering the main jet like Snowride indicated could help or even setting your reeds to the high setting.

So far from your posts over the past year, you don't seem to be "lucky" in the mods department. Good luck with the pipe and the tuning. I am sure it will "wake up". The smallest thing could be holding back all that power. I know, I have been there!

Brian

Old 03-15-2001, 01:04 AM
Pro Rider

Xplor,
I left the reeds set at the high setting,thats how they were when they arrived.Its still hanging around 32-36 degrees when I ride,I will re-jet down to a 220 in the morning and check my plug,
Bill