Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

05 Scrambler 500 Maintence Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 07:08 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 05 Scrambler 500 Maintence Questions

I recently purchased an 05 Scrambler 500 AWD for my wife. The bike looks in pretty good shape, but I want to change all the fluids and do some routine stuff.

1- The only drain I can find for the oil is on the plastic tank. Is this right ?? How do you get the oil out of the engine?

2- How do I change the tranny fluid ?

3- Other than the diffs, any other fluids to be concerned about?

4- How much play is supposed to be in the drive belt ? The belt doesn't seem to be worn, it just looks "streched". How do I make sure it isn't stretched ?

5- How many indicator lights are supposed to be on the panel ? All I've seen so far are "N" and "R".

Thanks for the help !!!

Old 06-20-2011, 08:04 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by tekrsq
I recently purchased an 05 Scrambler 500 AWD for my wife. The bike looks in pretty good shape, but I want to change all the fluids and do some routine stuff.

1- The only drain I can find for the oil is on the plastic tank. Is this right ?? How do you get the oil out of the engine?

2- How do I change the tranny fluid ?

3- Other than the diffs, any other fluids to be concerned about?

4- How much play is supposed to be in the drive belt ? The belt doesn't seem to be worn, it just looks "streched". How do I make sure it isn't stretched ?

5- How many indicator lights are supposed to be on the panel ? All I've seen so far are "N" and "R".

Thanks for the help !!!
Use a 9/16" OR 14 mm box end on the drain plug bolt.Leave oil filter on and when tank is drained,crank engine for about 10-15 SECONDS only and kill the machine. You will see about 8 ounces more oil drain(this from the sump) replace oil filter and pour in TWO quarts in oil tank.DON'T over tighten the drain plug on the oil tank!!
IF I remember correctly on the 05 model,reach at the FRONT lower gear case and you will feel a small 7/16" drain bolt,remove and drain trans fluid. Look in front of sprocket there is a 9/16" bolt,this is the fill plug,fill to BOTTOM of visible threads with Polaris AGL fluid.
Place a straight edge over the top of the front and rear clutch and push down on the top middle of the belt.If has more than 1 1/2" slack from the top of the belt to the straight edge,then probably needs replacement!
N and R on panel,plus HOT light indicator.
Front gear case you can use 80/90 GL5 diff oil OR Polaris brand diff fluid
Front hubs have a 3/16" allen screw to drain the hub fluid. To fill, place at 12o'clock position and fill ONLY with Demand Drive Plus hub fluid,turn to 4'oclock position until excess fluid almost drains out(can leave a little extra in hubs,won't hurt) Hope this helps! OPT

Old 06-21-2011, 06:11 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OPT,

That's exactly what I needed. THANKYOU !!

I found the fill plug on the tranny, and checked the fluid level, and I saw the bolt head on the bottom, but wasn't sure if it was a drain plug (didn't want to pull it out and screw up something, lol).

The Polaris drive systems are new to me (I have an 800 Sportsman too), and knowing how to check the belt is a definite help.

Thanks again !!!!

Old 06-21-2011, 07:23 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

The 800 has an EBC"engine braking clutches and the belt will be tighter and you can't measure the same way as on the Scrambler. Other "problem" areas happen on these clutches such as creeping,etc IF any problems arise. OPT