Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

96' sportsman

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 05:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96' sportsman

What is the best way to test where my problem is? The high-low-reverse lever is not working properly. It shifts fine but does not register that I am out of neutral. So my 4 wheel drive does not work. The green light stays on. I have checked all of the connections that I can see. I do not see anything wrong. It was working fine at first but now it doesn't. Also, is there a easier fix for the oil pump rather than taking the whole engine apart. Every now and then it makes a awful screaching noise that gets louder as you rev the engine. Then comes and goes. Would thicker oil help? It is coming from the oil pump area. I am sure that is what it is. Any info would be nice.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:23 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

If you check back posts on this problem you'll see most of the time its the switch in the shift box that needs replacing! Usually in low range the awd light will come on,but in high range it usually doesn't unless you push a little forward on the lever,then the awd light will come on.This is what I encountered the most of. Plus shifter wear itself can be a problem. Also the small bulb in the awd switch itself can burn out. You better check the counter balancer oil to see if it's contaminated with coolant from leaking water pump seals! The oil pump drive gear along with the counter balancer bearings are lubricated by this oil. 30wt oil is what is called for OR any multi weight oil,10-30, 10-40. OPT

Old 12-19-2011, 07:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for the info. I will check the oil. I thought it may be the switch so I took it apart but could not see anything wrong with it. I will let you know.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:45 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by PeterNorth
Thank you for the info. I will check the oil. I thought it may be the switch so I took it apart but could not see anything wrong with it. I will let you know.
The switch in the shift box has been revised if you have never had to replace it before! Possibly could solve your problems. OPT

Old 12-19-2011, 07:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

You know now that I think of it. It is a 500 so it does not have counterbalance oil. It uses the oil from the oil tank right? It sounds like a bad bearing in the oil pump. Is this common? I thought if I used thicker oil it may help. What do you think?

Old 12-19-2011, 11:55 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by PeterNorth
You know now that I think of it. It is a 500 so it does not have counterbalance oil. It uses the oil from the oil tank right? It sounds like a bad bearing in the oil pump. Is this common? I thought if I used thicker oil it may help. What do you think?
DO NOT use any thing thicker than 0W-40(Mobil 1 or newer recommended Polaris oil, 2w-50 although others have! 1995-2000 425 Magnum,Ranger and 500 (ALL) models had problems with the exhaust lobe wear on cams even with using good quality oil.I changed out a bunch of em on Magnums,Rangers and Sportsman 500's,even ones that used a good quality oil such as Mobil 1 0w40!This was a cam heat treatment problem and lobes were too soft!(per Polaris Industries own admission!) Noise can radiate from engine sounding like it's coming from different places. Check the cam out and see if it has wear on the exhaust lobe. If so, newer replacement cams have been changed and harder.PLUS check the oil tank and check if it is overfull and smells like gas! This is another reason cam lobes were ground down(Gas contaminated oil) The shift box and internal switch is still the same on the 1996 500 4 stroke Sportsman and 400 2 stroke Sportsman atv's OPT