Old 02-20-2012, 08:02 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Don't forget the slit in the new hose also! OPT

Old 04-28-2012, 12:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok. So i have put a slit in the new hose, purashed a new fan becasue the bearing was going bad, and bought a new battery and i still have issues when the bike gets warm. Is there any way to tell if the controller module is bad without a code?

The atv starts and runs/idles great until it gets warmed up then it takes to spitting and sputtering. It seems to do it between 1800-2200 rpms. Roughly 10-20 mph....

Old 04-28-2012, 06:22 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

We left off in 2/20/2012 after establishing that you had an efi and were purchasing a new battery. The spitting and sputtering could be the harness wiring on map sensor has a bare wire or internal wire break or the connector itself. This was the most common problem we had on these(map sensor's located on the throttle body) Look at the "sticky" post in the expert section on 700 efi wiring problem which applied to the 500 efi also. This could be your problem. Oem kits (which could fail again) plus after market thicker wire harness kits are available. Cheaper to try this than purchasing the $200 module if you're doing the work yourself. One of the ways to check that the controller module is ok is if it is charging 14 volts back to the battery while running at idle. If you have at least 14 volts going back into the battery,try the map sensor harness repair kit first and see if this solves the problem.. #2876315 is the OEM harness kit number,plus you can check other places such as Ebay for possible better quality ones. IF you aren't charging 14 volts back to the battery,then the controller module could be the problem,plus it's possible to have a bad controller module and harness kit problem at the same time. I had a couple of these at the shop. OPT

Old 04-29-2012, 07:02 AM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OPT, Don't want to hijack this thread, but you mentioned a recall on some ECM's on carbed models. Do you have info on where to find if a machine is on the list? Thank You, Fred

Old 04-29-2012, 08:03 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Recall was on 2004 to 2006 models on just about all full size carb model Polaris atvs that had the ecm module that controlled charging and fan operation. http://www.atv.info/article.cfm?id=632

Old 04-29-2012, 05:01 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank You, Fred

Old 04-29-2012, 07:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks OPT!! I got digging today and found a wire that had a tiny spec of copper showing. I taped it up and so far so good. I ran it for about 30 minutes around the house with no issues. Hopefully this was the problem!

The wire was located in the connector on the side of the engine by your left leg just above the oil filter. Crossing my fingers....

Old 04-30-2012, 05:11 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by PolarisLifer
Thanks OPT!! I got digging today and found a wire that had a tiny spec of copper showing. I taped it up and so far so good. I ran it for about 30 minutes around the house with no issues. Hopefully this was the problem!

The wire was located in the connector on the side of the engine by your left leg just above the oil filter. Crossing my fingers....
If the thermal sensor wiring had a bare spot and was intermittently touching the cylinder it could cause your problems and I hope this was it. But if it does it again check also for any wiring bare spots from the crank sensor harness coming out of the recoil area under the throttle body. I've found a couple that would touch the starter and start running bad (good idea to zip tie this harness and connector up away from the engine) also map sensor harness problems can be intermittent and run good,then run crappy. Good luck OPT

Old 06-17-2012, 04:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 2006 Polaris sportsman 500 efi and I have been having some issues first the stator went bad and my bike quit firing so I bought a new stator and I had no problems for a couple hours then my battery light started flashing and the battery started slowly dying and the atv slowly lost power till it died I thought it was the battery but I put a new one on it and the problem continues I was wondering if the stator I put I. Could be bad since it didn't do it till I change stators thanks

Old 06-17-2012, 09:06 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Welcomed to the forum! Could be a PDM module located at front of atv, controls,charging, fan operation,etc. Check charging back to battery while running should be around 14 volts. If not pull the harness connector going into the pdm and ohm between the three yellow stator wires. Should show the same (or close to the same) resistance(I think around .043 ohms) between yellows. Plus no stator wire should short(zero out ) to ground.If any wire shorts to ground the stator could be the problem. If stator checks out I would suspect the pdm module as the problem. I had several of these short out and not charge. OPT