Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2000 Sportsman 500... Hard to push

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 07:38 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Sportsman 500... Hard to push

I bought my first ATV as a project. I have resolved every issue, expect the top speed is only about 15-20 MPH. I've replaced the cam shaft, checked valve clearence, replaced the belt, took apart and cleaned the seccondary clutch and well as replaced the spark plug and spark plug wire/coil. The engine runs good and starts easy.

Being my first ATV, I'm not sure if this is normal. With the engine not running and the ATV in neutral, it's easy to move/push the atv around; however, when the handle bars are turned its more difficult to move. With the handle bars turned at full lock, its near impossible to push. Is this normal? Maybe this is limiting the top speed?

Otherwise, the next thing I plan on checking is the 6 buttons in the primary clutch (seccondary does not have buttons). I haven't heard what happens when the primary buttons wear out though...

Old 05-30-2012, 08:32 AM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easy to push straight and hard to push turning would be normal as there is no differential in the rear end and the tires are fighting each other.

As to speed - what RPMs can it come up to? Do you have it in the right gear for high speed?

Fred

Old 05-30-2012, 10:18 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Just jack up the front end and turn the bars fully to one side or the other and see if the front wheel drive on either side is engaging (turning the drive shaft with the wheel) while you roll the wheels. Could be time to address the hubs and armature plates if it is. Plus change the hub fluid with Polaris hub fluid and check if one side might be dry from seal leakage. OPT

Old 05-30-2012, 11:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

It's only goes about 15-20 MPH in high gear. Low gear is even slower!!

I'll jack it up and check for an hub issue. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:19 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Does it feel like the engine is limiting,hesitating, or does it feel like it's winding out but doesn't accelerate, or just tops out at 20 mph? Still could be a clutch problem?? OPT

Old 05-30-2012, 01:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Does it feel like the engine is limiting,hesitating, or does it feel like it's winding out but doesn't accelerate, or just tops out at 20 mph? Still could be a clutch problem?? OPT
Based on youtube videos, it sounds like the ATV is running correctly and at max RPM (there is no tach). It doesen't idle poorly and starts easily, so I'm thinking the carbs are ok. It doesn't bog or hesitate. The acceleration is smooth and linear, just doesen't get to max speed.

With the clutch cover off, the belt moves as it should (up the primary and down the seccondary). I went through the secondary clutch two or three times. I pulled the cover off the primary clutch to check the plastic jam nut (it was ok). I'm tempted to pull the primary clutch off completely and look it over. I now have the puller tool.

Thank you!

Old 05-30-2012, 06:22 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the belt worn out?

Old 05-30-2012, 07:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Just jack up the front end and turn the bars fully to one side or the other and see if the front wheel drive on either side is engaging (turning the drive shaft with the wheel) while you roll the wheels. Could be time to address the hubs and armature plates if it is. Plus change the hub fluid with Polaris hub fluid and check if one side might be dry from seal leakage. OPT
This was OK. I found a primary clutch weight that gets stuck when lined up correctly. Can i buy just 1 weight or adjust it?