Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1995 Polaris Scrambler Coolant and clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 07:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1995 Polaris Scrambler Coolant and clutch problem

Hey guys, just went out and got a 1995 scrambler 400 4x4 yesterday.it needs some work, and i need some help.
To start it off, i need a starter, swingarm bushings, battery, and steering stem bearings.
Where can i find the steering stem bearings and other parts? i found 2001-up bushings cant find any for old ones
it doesnt have a battery. the guy just pull started it. BUT, it doesnt get any power even while running on the lights and stuff. Would that also cause the radiator fan to not come on? Will the water pump work? That leading me to my next question..
It runs fine cold, when it gets hot it dumps the coolant out fast. it gets the whole motor, exhaust cover, frame, hoses all wet. i cant find where its coming from. all hoses are on and tight, it seems as it litterally just dumps out. Any suggestions or what might cause this?

Im familiar with atv's, motors, ect.. ive actually owned a scrambler, but i had it in 03 and it was an 02. This is a 95 its now 2012 so she has some age.
Also clutch rubs on cover until i give it some throttle then its fine..

If anyone could help with any of this it would be great!
Thanks, Cody.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider

lots of cheap aftermarket starters and drives(bendix) on ebay.
I imagine polaris has the lower stem bushing, it's riveted in place and likes to come loose.
both aaen and HPD-inc have an upgrade alumininum one that bolts in place.

It does not need a battery to run, but needs one for the lights. They all probably got blown out from two much voltage. without the battery to asborb the charge. may have caused other problems (voltage reg)

You may have a badly blown head gasket and or warped head, split hose, lack of a bleed screw in the head(missing).
lack of water in the rad can stop the sensor from being activated.
Fan may be seized, I have opened them and clean them out. got it working again.

swingarm bushingsmy be worn but most of the play may be just because the bolts of loosened off.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:14 AM
Weekend Warrior
Thank you very much for the reply, This is what i have found out so far..

Coolant leak/blowout- The fitting actually blew out of the motor(What the hose actually connects to on the motor) What would you recommend to keep that fitting from coming loose?
I found the starter, and swingarm bushings.
And actually something else that worries me, he told me the electric start didnt work.. Well, the starter is actually gone. i can see right into case. The power wire was cut and hanging. i dont want a bunch of dirt and rocks flying in there but chances are, it already did. when i get my starter should u go through and clean all that out before installing it?

Now how about the clutch.. its got like a knocking noise to it and it rubs against the cover when its on there. when i give it very little more throttle everything is proper. its just at idle that its knocking or rubbing.
Once again thanks for the help

Old 07-01-2012, 10:08 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Lochner27
Thank you very much for the reply, This is what i have found out so far..

Coolant leak/blowout- The fitting actually blew out of the motor(What the hose actually connects to on the motor) What would you recommend to keep that fitting from coming loose?
I found the starter, and swingarm bushings.
And actually something else that worries me, he told me the electric start didnt work.. Well, the starter is actually gone. i can see right into case. The power wire was cut and hanging. i dont want a bunch of dirt and rocks flying in there but chances are, it already did. when i get my starter should u go through and clean all that out before installing it?

Now how about the clutch.. its got like a knocking noise to it and it rubs against the cover when its on there. when i give it very little more throttle everything is proper. its just at idle that its knocking or rubbing.
Once again thanks for the help
You can JB weld the coolant elbow(have had some vibrate loose and blow out too) You must bleed the bolt at the rear of the head by the sensor when you install coolant in the radiator or trapped air can damage the engine!! Bleed it until NO air bubbles are seen and then top off the radiator and coolant overflow bottle. Remove the recoil housing and clean any dirt or mud from the stator area,plus this cover has to be removed to install the two front starter bolts anyway. Plus check the operation of the starter bendix (IF it has one??) BEST to just replace em when you replace the starters!Also sounds like you could either have a warped clutch cover or worn front clutch spider buttons or could be both?? If the front clutch spider is grooved where the six (6) buttons glide up and down, replacing these may not help with the knocking noise even if the buttons are worn. Plus you have to have a spider tool to pull the clutch apart to replace these buttons. If you're not sure about the clutch might be best to let someone look at it before you spend any $$ on repairing it. OPT

Old 07-02-2012, 08:04 PM
Pro Rider

clutch rubbing on cover
Is there a bad motor mount pulling it out of line.
i had a clutch rub before, turned out i didn't need the three spacers behind the rear cover on the mounting bolts. depends on which rear cover you have.
The 95 came with spacers. but if the cover was replaced with the substituted part nuumber the spacers are not needed.