Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 05:00 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TrailBoss 250 help

I just bought my first atv last week and its a 1997 Polaris TrailBoss 250
2-stroke.

I have a few questions

1. The transmission fluid is bad thats in it, i want to drain the transmission but cant find the drain plug, also im wondering what would be a cheap but good transmission fluid i could use?

2. Im not a expert but i had to replace a gasket on the cover the pull start is bolted to, i dont know the name of that part sorry I replaced the gasket and it worked, I had to replace it because it was leaking air when I would ride and spray gas out of it...now im wondering why there is gas in the case? The cover I know protects the starter and the other wheel the starter spins but i also know gas shouldnt be in there.

3. When the TrailBoss is just sitting it leaks gas constantly out the overflow line on the carburetor, i took carburetor off and used carburetor cleaner and checked everything and all looked good, I went ahead and ordered a carburetor kit that i should have in a few days delivered.

Thanks for reading and helping.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:18 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Welcome! Gear case drain plug is on the right rear where the bash plate has a cut out. 3/4" or 19 mm. Fill with Polaris AGL to dipstick full mark (approx 20 ounces)
Gas in the recoil area is because of leaking crank seals,one behind the stator plate and one behind the front clutch. Carburetor kit should fix the leaking problem with a new needle and seat. If it has a problem running after you repair the carb,you may need to replace the crank seals.Look here under your model at "crank case and cylinder" will show the seals plus anything else you might need. Browse
OPT

Old 09-17-2012, 05:57 PM
Trailblazer

thanks that really helps.
Now should there be any fluid in the recoil area or is it just empty?
also do you think its dangerous to ride with gas going in the recoil area?

Old 09-17-2012, 06:10 PM
Trailblazer

Also i forgot my reverse barely works it kind of bogs out and makes a poping noise, sorry i forgot.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:42 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you pushing the yellow override button on the left handlebar when you back up?

Old 09-17-2012, 07:01 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Best to replace the crank seals,haven't had one ever catch on fire,but mainly they suck air(can't fully compress the gas/oil mixture in the crank case) and hard for engine to run or run properly if leaking bad enough.You may get lucky to where it may idle and run ok and not have to change em out when you rebuild the carb.Just see how it runs first. You have to push the reverse over ride button on the left hand control to get full power in reverse.If not it will pop,and not have very much power. This is a safety module that does eventually go out. You can pull the plastic tank cover and left side panel and it's the small module with the black wire at the top of the circuit board. Just pull the black wire which defeats this module and you'll have full power in reverse without having to push the button.Make sure you get the right black wire as the other one is the cdi engine kill wire. OPT

Old 09-17-2012, 11:05 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info, I do have the reverse overide button but sadly the battery is no good on the four wheeler, ive been looking for a good deal but i wanted to get the carb kit to hopefully stop the gas leak. I will take a look tomorrow on the black wire you were talking about pulling to have full power in reverse and hopefully i dont mess anything up. Thanks again man

Old 09-18-2012, 12:46 AM
Trailblazer

Im looking at the Agl transmission fluid you were talking about its on ebay for 22$ is that a good deal? its 32 oz bottle
thanks

Old 09-18-2012, 05:11 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

$22 Not too good of a bargain compared to this. Amazon.com: Polaris AGL fluid Didn't see what shipping was. Just check local dealers and around the internet. PLUS any oil that's designed and rated for chain driven gear cases can be used. OPT

Old 09-18-2012, 11:08 AM
Trailblazer

I checked amazon its 22$ after shipping so ill do some looking around thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: TrailBoss 250 help